Ebay - Combining postage ?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,445
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite

I know you're massively more experienced than me at eBay but I don't think it's fair that postage should cover eBay fees.

Or maybe you didn't actually mean that.

• GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 578
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I also do not profit from postage, but I do not charge packaging either. It's literally the cost of postage and thats it. I have had a few buyers moan in the past, or not provide a 5 star P&P rating on eBay becuase the postage was excessive considering I added an extra £1 to cover the packaging! Hence I now tend to keep packaging from items my family and I may orfder for other stores, and re-use packaging where I can!

• Pollycat
    Forumite

Me too.

I do buy the grey plastic sacks and don't add that cost on. But I'm not a business seller, just somebody making a bit of cash from no longer wanted personal items.

Excessive postage costs on items that I'm looking at does put me off.

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,134
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    prowla said:

It's perfectly acceptable to ask for combined postage, especially if shipping multiple items costs the same as one.

(Unless items are pre-packaged for shipping.)

Even then I don't see why they can't be put into the same bag and sent as one parcel with presumably a cheaper postage cost than two separate parcels.  It does annoy me when people refuse to do that, especially private sellers whose margins surely aren't calculated to the penny including the packaging.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,829
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Pollycat said:
    I'm just not comfortable with massively over charging for postage. Yes I'll cover my packing and eBay fees, but I don't want to make excessive profit on postage and prefer to reimburse where I can, within reason. I probably wouldn't bother for instance where I sell 2 under 100g items that combine to over 100g as there's not a great deal in it.<\/p>

\nAlso, your 2 months suggestion can't work, you can't open an unpaid after 30 days (I think it's still 30 days) and there's absolutely no way I'm having my stuff hanging around for months once it's sold, I like it out the door . That's why I have an automatic 4 day cancellation on my sales, no payment in 4 days and sale is cancelled automatically by eBay due to buyer non payment and buyer gets a strike. <\/p>","bodyRaw":"[{\"type\":\"p\",\"children\":[{\"text\":\"I'm just not comfortable with massively over charging for postage. Yes I'll cover my packing and eBay fees, but I don't want to make excessive profit on postage and prefer to reimburse where I can, within reason. I probably wouldn't bother for instance where I sell 2 under 100g items that combine to over 100g as there's not a great deal in it.\"}]},{\"type\":\"p\",\"children\":[{\"text\":\"\\nAlso, your 2 months suggestion can't work, you can't open an unpaid after 30 days (I think it's still 30 days) and there's absolutely no way I'm having my stuff hanging around for months once it's sold, I like it out the door . That's why I have an automatic 4 day cancellation on my sales, no payment in 4 days and sale is cancelled automatically by eBay due to buyer non payment and buyer gets a strike. \"}]}]","format":"rich2","dateInserted":"2023-05-03T06:49:47+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":30457,"name":"soolin","title":"","url":"https:\/\/forums.moneysavingexpert.com\/profile\/soolin","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us-noi.v-cdn.net\/6031891\/uploads\/userpics\/919\/nO8FYS9N8PH5F.jpg","dateLastActive":"2023-05-03T17:17:46+00:00","banned":0,"punished":0,"private":false,"label":"Ambassador<\/b><\/span>"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.moneysavingexpert.com\/discussion\/comment\/80028744#Comment_80028744","embedType":"quote","embedStyle":"rich_embed_card"}"> https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80028744#Comment_80028744

I know you're massively more experienced than me at eBay but I don't think it's fair that postage should cover eBay fees.

No I do add a little to postage to cover the fees on postage. So a £2.99 parcel for instance might be charged at £3.30 which also covers the cost of a new box and goes a little way to paying the fees on the postage element, not the item element. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    soolin said:
    Pollycat said:
    I'm just not comfortable with massively over charging for postage. Yes I'll cover my packing and eBay fees, but I don't want to make excessive profit on postage and prefer to reimburse where I can, within reason. I probably wouldn't bother for instance where I sell 2 under 100g items that combine to over 100g as there's not a great deal in it.<\/p>

\nAlso, your 2 months suggestion can't work, you can't open an unpaid after 30 days (I think it's still 30 days) and there's absolutely no way I'm having my stuff hanging around for months once it's sold, I like it out the door . That's why I have an automatic 4 day cancellation on my sales, no payment in 4 days and sale is cancelled automatically by eBay due to buyer non payment and buyer gets a strike. <\/p>","bodyRaw":"[{\"type\":\"p\",\"children\":[{\"text\":\"I'm just not comfortable with massively over charging for postage. Yes I'll cover my packing and eBay fees, but I don't want to make excessive profit on postage and prefer to reimburse where I can, within reason. I probably wouldn't bother for instance where I sell 2 under 100g items that combine to over 100g as there's not a great deal in it.\"}]},{\"type\":\"p\",\"children\":[{\"text\":\"\\nAlso, your 2 months suggestion can't work, you can't open an unpaid after 30 days (I think it's still 30 days) and there's absolutely no way I'm having my stuff hanging around for months once it's sold, I like it out the door . That's why I have an automatic 4 day cancellation on my sales, no payment in 4 days and sale is cancelled automatically by eBay due to buyer non payment and buyer gets a strike. \"}]}]","format":"rich2","dateInserted":"2023-05-03T06:49:47+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":30457,"name":"soolin","title":"","url":"https:\/\/forums.moneysavingexpert.com\/profile\/soolin","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us-noi.v-cdn.net\/6031891\/uploads\/userpics\/919\/nO8FYS9N8PH5F.jpg","dateLastActive":"2023-05-03T17:17:46+00:00","banned":0,"punished":0,"private":false,"label":"Ambassador<\/b><\/span>"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.moneysavingexpert.com\/discussion\/comment\/80028744#Comment_80028744","embedType":"quote","embedStyle":"rich_embed_card"}"> https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80028744#Comment_80028744

No I do add a little to postage to cover the fees on postage. So a £2.99 parcel for instance might be charged at £3.30 which also covers the cost of a new box and goes a little way to paying the fees on the postage element, not the item element. 
    Soolin
    I'm not sure your post makes sense.

• olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,263
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:
    soolin said:
    Pollycat said:

Soolin

Soolin means that she doesn't add the eBay fees for the actual sold item onto the postage costs.

Her postage costs cover the actual postage fee, the cost of the packaging and some of the eBay fees charged on postage (being as eBay charge their percentage on both the sold item and postage for the sold item).
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:
    soolin said:
    Pollycat said:

Soolin

Soolin means that she doesn't add the eBay fees for the actual sold item onto the postage costs.

Her postage costs cover the actual postage fee, the cost of the packaging and some of the eBay fees charged on postage (being as eBay charge their percentage on both the sold item and postage for the sold item).
    I understand what Soolin means.

I meant that the post itself didn't make sense.

There's a big wodge of text that seems to be my quote but isn't.
    Then there's this gobbledygook:

<\/p>","bodyRaw":"[{\"type\":\"p\",\"children\":[{\"text\":\"I'm just not comfortable with massively over charging for postage. Yes I'll cover my packing and eBay fees, but I don't want to make excessive profit on postage and prefer to reimburse where I can, within reason. I probably wouldn't bother for instance where I sell 2 under 100g items that combine to over 100g as there's not a great deal in it.\"}]},{\"type\":\"p\",\"children\":[{\"text\":\"\\nAlso, your 2 months suggestion can't work, you can't open an unpaid after 30 days (I think it's still 30 days) and there's absolutely no way I'm having my stuff hanging around for months once it's sold, I like it out the door . That's why I have an automatic 4 day cancellation on my sales, no payment in 4 days and sale is cancelled automatically by eBay due to buyer non payment and buyer gets a strike. \"}]}]","format":"rich2","dateInserted":"2023-05-03T06:49:47+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":30457,"name":"soolin","title":"","url":"https:\/\/forums.moneysavingexpert.com\/profile\/soolin","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us-noi.v-cdn.net\/6031891\/uploads\/userpics\/919\/nO8FYS9N8PH5F.jpg","dateLastActive":"2023-05-03T17:17:46+00:00","banned":0,"punished":0,"private":false,"label":"Ambassador<\/b><\/span>"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.moneysavingexpert.com\/discussion\/comment\/80028744#Comment_80028744","embedType":"quote","embedStyle":"rich_embed_card"}"> https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80028744#Comment_80028744

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,829
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Pollycat said:
    Pollycat said:
    soolin said:
    Pollycat said:

Soolin

<\/p>","bodyRaw":"[{\"type\":\"p\",\"children\":[{\"text\":\"I'm just not comfortable with massively over charging for postage. Yes I'll cover my packing and eBay fees, but I don't want to make excessive profit on postage and prefer to reimburse where I can, within reason. I probably wouldn't bother for instance where I sell 2 under 100g items that combine to over 100g as there's not a great deal in it.\"}]},{\"type\":\"p\",\"children\":[{\"text\":\"\\nAlso, your 2 months suggestion can't work, you can't open an unpaid after 30 days (I think it's still 30 days) and there's absolutely no way I'm having my stuff hanging around for months once it's sold, I like it out the door . That's why I have an automatic 4 day cancellation on my sales, no payment in 4 days and sale is cancelled automatically by eBay due to buyer non payment and buyer gets a strike. \"}]}]","format":"rich2","dateInserted":"2023-05-03T06:49:47+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":30457,"name":"soolin","title":"","url":"https:\/\/forums.moneysavingexpert.com\/profile\/soolin","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us-noi.v-cdn.net\/6031891\/uploads\/userpics\/919\/nO8FYS9N8PH5F.jpg","dateLastActive":"2023-05-03T17:17:46+00:00","banned":0,"punished":0,"private":false,"label":"Ambassador<\/b><\/span>"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.moneysavingexpert.com\/discussion\/comment\/80028744#Comment_80028744","embedType":"quote","embedStyle":"rich_embed_card"}"> https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80028744#Comment_80028744

I’m getting that occasionally , I think the new text editor sometimes works badly with my iPad. I have tried going out and in again and thought it had disappeared but it obviously came up again once I’d posted.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,263
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:
    Pollycat said:
    soolin said:
    Pollycat said:

Soolin

Being as that's a quoted post, I guess that the new text editor has an issue as the gobbledygook relates to text formatting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback