Will Barclaycard Write Off My Debt?

Options
Hi

Took out a Barclaycard a few months ago, and since my health conditions have worsened this has become very overwhelming for me to handle on my own, especially on the autism spectrum.

I have also got anxiety with depression. I am an extremely vulnerable customer of theirs, and feel they should write the debt off, but that’s for them to decide.

Do you reckon they would based on my circumstances? Bare in mind I sent them medical evidence of this from my GP along with a budget. My current balance also sits at £800.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,917 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It’s quite possible that they will, yes.

Just cooperate with them, and see where it leads.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • ARN92_
    ARN92_ Posts: 25 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 April 2023 at 9:52PM
    Options
    Thanks.

Other companies when I have approached them about the same issue have not been so sympathetic, such as a well-known payday lender known as Fund Ourselves.

Basically saying to me “you were aware of your condition when you took out your loan”. I have tried co-operating with them, and just gave up as they were too stubborn enough to change their minds.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Well if you don’t have any luck, wait until they sell your debts on, as 3rd party debt purchasing companies have much more discretion over these things.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • ARN92_
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May 2023 at 10:54AM
    Options
    An update on this.

Received a letter from them yesterday basically stating “Thanks for your email, while we appreciate you sending in medical evidence we’re unable to write off the debt. This is because your disposable income shows it’s at £200.”

To say I’m unhappy is an understatement, especially with time wasted collecting all the evidence required. Clearly their investigation was lazy, as they didn’t bother to take my medical situation in to account.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As already mentioned, just wait till Barclaycard sell the debt on, and you should have more flexibility to offer part payments, or they could write the debt off.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • ARN92_
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks.

Really is a big headache having to sort this once and for all, with no real resolution in sight.

Am trying to be debt-free, but companies are making that difficult for me.
  • sourcrates
    edited 17 May 2023 at 8:10PM
    Options
    I hate to say this, and please take this in the helpful way it is intended, next time you send a letter to a creditor asking for a write off, you really need to be much better prepared.

For starters, debt purchasing companies will be easier to deal with when considering write offs, and secondly, don`t let your income/expenditure show a £200 surplus, or any surplus, as your just shooting yourself in the foot by doing that, big mistake, have it show as zero.
  • ARN92_
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May 2023 at 8:30PM
    Options
    Yes, I appreciate the comments, and now that you’ve said that I should’ve exaggerated my budget a bit more but there’s no going back on that now (until it goes to a debt management agency.)
  • hoverFrog1
    hoverFrog1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you owe £800 and have a disposable income of £200 then set the money aside now so you can pay it off in one go. If you don't actually have £200 spare each month then you need to create a new I&E that shows what you actually do have spare. That is especially true given that your circumstances have changed.
  • ARN92_
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 June 2023 at 12:53PM
    Options
    Me and Barclaycard discussed this morning for a full and final settlement in place for £550 instead of the £800, so least that’s something even though will it will leave a negative mark on my credit file for six years, and mentioned it will also leave a missed payment mark on it.

This will leave me with £470 until 30 June (which happens to be payday), will that be enough to live on until then if I don’t go crazy with it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback