We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I live in supportive living.

We are having fire inspections next Thursday. Why do I feel so embarrassed to let them in my room. I have a large amount of incontinence pads/nappies in my room because I have IC, and I feel embarrassed. I have the fire person and two mangers coming looking ay my room and I have 16 packets of tena slip in the open which I can't hide, I feel like they are intruding in my privacy. Should I be embarrassed? 

Comments

  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,012
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No. No more than if you had a wheelchair or a hoist or any other aid to daily life.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 11,209
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Nope.  Incontinence is a medical condition just like any other, and you use necessary supplies for it.  No need for embarrassment (and if anybody does try to make you feel embarrassed about it, it reflects on their character only.  No reflection on you whatsoever).
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,278
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    They won’t look. They won’t care.
    But if you want to sling a sheet or something  over the top to feel comfortable, then do that. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • Two issues at play
    What you should feel and what you do feel.
    You shouldn't be embarrassed, but that doesn't mean you won't feel it,
    Do what's best for you,  let them see it or as elsien suggested, throw a sheet over them if you want to.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 25,435
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Unless there's some way in which they are causing a fire hazard or obstruction, I doubt they'll even notice.
    If it's causing you embarrassment though do as suggested with a sheet or put them inside a holdall if you have one or are able to. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.