IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Keep getting invalid PCNs re. ANPR car park (Smart Parking)

Options
I don't think this has come up before, I've looked!

I have a big problem with Smart Parking. I have now received two PCNs from them re. parking in the same car park, which I use once a week. It has recently had ANPR installed - parking is free provided you enter your reg. no. inside the building.

I have religiously done this every week, but I got a PCN for 7 Mar (this has also happened to other people attending the same meetings). I appealed on the basis of a faulty system, it was rejected, I decided to pay rather than take it further as I had no physical evidence, and assumed it was a one-off.

I've now received another PCN for 4 Apr, again despite entering my reg. no. correctly. I do not expect Smart Parking to respond any more favourably than before, but it is clear to me that the system has teething problems and is malfunctioning. I cannot afford to pay an unwarranted £60 every month for parking correctly.

I've read the BPA code of practice regarding keying errors - they're supposed to let you off a minor error, or charge £20 max. for a more serious error. But it looks like in this case the keyed entry has just not registered in the system. You also get no physical evidence of entering your number, so you can't prove you entered anything. What can be done?

I'm going to appeal this second one at least just to put a hold on the date for discounted payment. I will also report it to BPA, though i don't know if that will achieve anything.

I'd appreciate any advice or ideas - thanks.

Comments

• B789
    B789 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 April 2023 at 5:10PM
    Options
    @RickJ, we are sorry but you have now been marked by not-so-Smart Parking as a "mug" and are now a target. Why, oh why, did you pay anything to these scammers?

Do EXACTLY as @Grizebeck has advised above and copy & paste those exact words into their appeals box. It won't stop you from receiving more PCNs from them but just respond to each one in the same way.

Did you even try Plan A?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure