DartCharge - Do I have a chance?

Options
Hello,

Last month I had used dartford crossing both directions, I am aware of the charge and I had registered for the only line account and saved my card. Since it had worked in the past I thought the charge will be taken from my card. 
To my surprise, I received a penalty charge notice of £35 for each way by post after two weeks, I called dartcharge support and was told since my card had expired charge hasn't been taken hence the PCN. Also, I was told I would have received an email about the same but there is no trace of it in my inbox and I dont remember seeing an email about dart account in the past, probably it would have gone to spam and eventually got deleted.

I did call support number again and explained them the same, I was told to appeal from the website providing all the details and was assured it would be considered as it seems to be a genuine reason. But again to my surprise it has been rejected and now have been provided 14 days to appeal using the verification code or pay £70 + user charge.

I feel it is unfair on dart charge, they send PCN by post where as notification about card expiry by email!!! when questioned they say it is card holders responsibility to check if card is valid or not. In the last 4-5 years have used crossing around 10 times and every time payment had gone through by card. 

Request the gurus to tell me if I have a chance if appealed to trafficpenaltytribunal ? or is it better to cough up £70 ?

Thank you,
San

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pay - then concentrate on why you didn't get their email - maybe add them.to safe senders ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback