Nectar Points Stolen

This post is to warn any Nectar card customers out there to be vigilant. We had 5000 (£25) points taken from our card. We live in Notts, and only ever spend in our local Sainsbury’s. These points were redeemed in Hayes.

We have reported it to Nectar, and they have agreed to refund the points with an additional 2000 points. We’re now waiting for a new card to be issued. Hopefully, this will be in the next ten days.

However, the question remains how was this ‘scam’ performed when you have to show your card? I have looked online and note that people have succumbed to this scam as far back as 2019.

Please check your accounts!

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    there is no security on a nectar card number - if a scammer has your long nectar card number they can redeem points on a self service checkout.
  • Understandable, but how are they getting the numbers? Many of the victims stories I have read live hundreds of miles away from where the points were redeemed, as in my case. 

It makes you lose confidence, especially when you read online this has been going on for years. Why are Nectar/Sainsbury’s not improving on their security?

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    km1500 said:
    there is no security on a nectar card number - if a scammer has your long nectar card number they can redeem points on a self service checkout.
    ???   Don't you need the barcode on the physical card?   ( I suppose you could print a fake one with a bit of knowhow)
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,600 Forumite
    Understandable, but how are they getting the numbers? Many of the victims stories I have read live hundreds of miles away from where the points were redeemed, as in my case. 

It makes you lose confidence, especially when you read online this has been going on for years. Why are Nectar/Sainsbury’s not improving on their security?
    Because the cost of improving the security is more than the cost of replacing stolen Nectar points.
    NBLondon said:
    km1500 said:
    ???   Don't you need the barcode on the physical card?   ( I suppose you could print a fake one with a bit of knowhow)
    You can easily generate a barcode with the number, there are websites that will convert a number to a barcode. One could then print it, or keep the image of the barcode on their phone. 
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,306 Forumite
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Doesn't help when you have to read out your number at the till to the cashier when getting fuel as you do at ours

They have never had scanners. Complained previously to be told they are coming but never changes. Staff also say nothing with change.

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was on Nectar's online chat recently, as I was having problems with the Nectar app.  To log on to chat, you have to give your card number, which makes sense.
    But while I was on the chat, the operative asked for my card number and month of birth.  Being suspicious, I asked why.  Instead of answering, they told me I needed to reinstall the app.
    I terminated the chat at that point.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • claire07
    claire07 Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have also just had 28000 nectar points stolen.  Foolishly I was saving them up for a large purchase but had an email yesterday from Nectar to thank me for my purchase at an Argos in London using 28000 points leaving me with £3 in my account.  I've reported it on their online chat and they've cancelled the card and will send out another.  However, as I only use it on the Sainsburys weekly shop I am concerned how they accessed my number and when I am eventually compensated I will make sure I keep running down the amount.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    claire07 said:
    I have also just had 28000 nectar points stolen.  Foolishly I was saving them up for a large purchase but had an email yesterday from Nectar to thank me for my purchase at an Argos in London using 28000 points leaving me with £3 in my account.  I've reported it on their online chat and they've cancelled the card and will send out another.  However, as I only use it on the Sainsburys weekly shop I am concerned how they accessed my number and when I am eventually compensated I will make sure I keep running down the amount.
    They didn't "access" your number, just guessed at one and got lucky at the high amount of points you had.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback