30yo savings

Options
I’m 30, run my own business, I’m constantly worrying about money! Even more so now as I’ve just purchased a new car which I need for work and my personal life. My entire savings are 16k (after buying the car) and I also have assets in a classic car and motorbike adding to around 20k. Am I doing ok or should I really have more put aside?

Comments

• Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    May I ask if you rent or have a mortgage? Have you an occupational pension? How much you can save will also be influenced by how much you earn and your outgoings. For some those figures could be very good indeed for others less so.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Your savings and assets are more than what many have. Are you still renting, has business picked up etc:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6342424/im-self-employed-earning-300-a-week/p1
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Rtj123
    Rtj123 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    May I ask if you rent or have a mortgage? Have you an occupational pension? How much you can save will also be influenced by how much you earn and your outgoings. For some those figures could be very good indeed for others less so.
    Rent with my partner. No pension apart from a very small one started years ago. (Around 6k)
  • Rtj123
    Rtj123 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your savings and assets are more than what many have. Are you still renting, has business picked up etc:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6342424/im-self-employed-earning-300-a-week/p1
    Yes renting. Business has picked up rapidly. I also have money in other smaller assets. Looking to increase my pension pot 
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if the 16k is cash savings then you are doing much better than most people your age and many people my age.

you need to be contributing to a pension though as it’s very easy to underestimate the compounding effect over the years to make it grow. Plus you get tax relief on top of your contributions which boosts its value.
  • Contro1
    Contro1 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    1st well done, I am 30 and have the same. Please add a small contribution to your pension! I’ve been doing so for years. Talk to an FA about one as they’ve always confused me… 

in my thread I’m unsure if I’ve a short fall or not. Im working towards building it up at the moment. The littlest amount can push towards a long way.. I’d aim for around £650/ year plus the government top up of 25%. Makes it worth while but do your own research and enquire with a FA on your position. 
  • junglist_matty
    Options
    No idea of your doing well or not, I guess that depends on your goals.... I'm 39, I have a wife and 2 kids, we have about 500k tied up in "equity" in our house, not much in the way of savings/debt to write home about.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback