PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to tell if property is good value

Options

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    Ybe said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Ybe said:
    Pocket Living flats are well designed in terms of use of space  but very pokey and claustrophobic and there are restrictions when you come to sell them on. People buy them because they like the brand which pretends to be ethical whereas in reality they are just another housebuilder selling tiny, overpriced London shoeboxes.  I'm not sure what the future holds for house prices in Barnet but for the UK housing market, prices are only going one way over the next few years and that's down whilst interest rates will rise further, so my advice is buyer beware.
    So in terms of buying any UK property as a FTB, is it better to wait a bit for prices to fall? Or is the market just too unpredictable. 
    The share prices of house builders have risen a bit recently, indicating that investors think that house prices are not going to drop much further, or at least not as much as previously expected.
    Thanks. I don’t know enough about how the property market works to be able to know but is it generally hard to predict how property prices will change? 
    Historically they always go up.

Buy as soon as you can
  • Sarah1Mitty2
    Sarah1Mitty2 Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ybe said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Ybe said:
    Pocket Living flats are well designed in terms of use of space  but very pokey and claustrophobic and there are restrictions when you come to sell them on. People buy them because they like the brand which pretends to be ethical whereas in reality they are just another housebuilder selling tiny, overpriced London shoeboxes.  I'm not sure what the future holds for house prices in Barnet but for the UK housing market, prices are only going one way over the next few years and that's down whilst interest rates will rise further, so my advice is buyer beware.
    So in terms of buying any UK property as a FTB, is it better to wait a bit for prices to fall? Or is the market just too unpredictable. 
    The share prices of house builders have risen a bit recently, indicating that investors think that house prices are not going to drop much further, or at least not as much as previously expected.
    Thanks. I don’t know enough about how the property market works to be able to know but is it generally hard to predict how property prices will change? 
    Historically they always go up.

Buy as soon as you can
     Not while rates are still rising though.
  • Ybe
    Ybe Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    They are now on sale.  How are they now compared to market conditions and prices? I checked and on reselling, if no buyer is found after 6 months with the restrictions, they can be sold on the open market with no restrictions. 
  • Sarah1Mitty2
    Sarah1Mitty2 Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    Options
    Can`t see much value there with mortgage rates now higher than the Truss budget episode.
  • Ybe
    Options
    Can`t see much value there with mortgage rates now higher than the Truss budget episode.
    So you think resales better?
  • Ybe
    Options
    So I have come to a decision that the pricing and the service charges are not priced correctly to offset the risks of this property (section 106 restrictions which limit the resale market, high interest rates, buying in a downward market, pricing compared to nearby properties). But my thinking is that if I’ve made a decision to walk away anyway, I have nothing to lose by asking for a discount.  
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 September 2023 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Easy.  When you sell it (or rent it out) you'll know from the profit/loss you make compared to probable/expected. 

Anything else mainly speculation.

Cheers!
  • Ybe
    Options
    Easy.  When you sell it (or rent it out) you'll know from the profit/loss you make compared to probable/expected. 

Anything else mainly speculation.

Cheers!
    Indeed. It is just more than what I want to pay given the restrictions and the price of other properties nearby. 
  • peterhjohnson
    Options
    For most people, buying something that can be readily sold in years to come is very important. Any restriction on the potential market is a worry. I've seen it with retirement properties that can only be lived in by those 55+ - they stay on the market for ages - even when the market is hot.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The way I feel about the question in the OP is that if the property sells quickly then it was good value. But, I only know when it's too late. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure