We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Old garden chemical identification - help!

Daisymaisy
Daisymaisy Posts: 227 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 12 April 2023 at 5:58PM in Gardening
I have a very old bottle of pesticide and the label has more or less come off so I cannot identify exactly what it was.  I am trying to dispose of it safely via the hazardous waste collection operated by the City of London but I am not sure if they will take it without knowing what it is. I am sending them an email too but thought I'd run it past everyone on here.

Does anyone remember what this bottle contained? I've just realised the photos do not show the lid which can just be glimpsed and is bright red. I think it may have been Nimrod T but I thought that was a fungicide and this definitely appears to be a pesticide.  I can make out the words caterpillar, whitefly, greenfly, mite and killer and that it is suitable for certain edible crops.  I think the manufacturer was Miracle Garden Care Ltd in Godalming and from my internet sleuthing they were bought by Scotts Miracle Gro back in 1997.  I may have to contact them but fingers crossed someone here can help me identify it.

Comments

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Google the postcode on the label and it comes up with Scott’s who make Miracle Gro which isn’t too dissimilar from what it says. Label refers to dosage and treatments so most likely a feed or pesticide rather than a serious killer
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Those things used on edible crops were usually permethrin a synthetic version of the one you can make from garden plants. Remember doing that back in the day.
    https://www.happysprout.com/gardening/permethrin-garden-spray-pest-control/
    What does it smell like? Permethrin is quite pungent and recognisable - and used in human topical medication.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Daisymaisy
    edited 12 April 2023 at 7:42PM
    twopenny said:
    Those things used on edible crops were usually permethrin a synthetic version of the one you can make from garden plants. Remember doing that back in the day.
    https://www.happysprout.com/gardening/permethrin-garden-spray-pest-control/
    What does it smell like? Permethrin is quite pungent and recognisable - and used in human topical medication.
    From memory it smells of napthalene which I understand was banned from use in pesticides in the uk in 2008.  I also have a bottle of Murphy Liquid Malathion to dispose of, which absolutely reeks, in the same bag as the mystery bottle so I am not in any hurry to open it up to sniff my mystery pesticide  ;).  
  • Daisymaisy
    baser999 said:
    Google the postcode on the label and it comes up with Scott’s who make Miracle Gro which isn’t too dissimilar from what it says. Label refers to dosage and treatments so most likely a feed or pesticide rather than a serious killer
    I don't think they are there anymore but I might be wrong.  The website given and customer service seems to be run by lovethegarden.com who are Evergreen Garden Care (UK) Ltd with a registered office in Frimley, a Frimley telephone number and a correspondence address in Cardiff.  Previous name: The Scotts Company UK Ltd...  I'll give them a ring tomorrow and we'll see if they have a product history department they can put me in touch with.  Definitely a pesticide from what I can read on the label and I'm guessing the aphids et al would disagree with you on the 'serious killer' front :D.  
  • DougMLancs
    DougMLancs Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Unfortunately the MAFF number isn’t readable as that would’ve really helped. You might just have to ring them- if they’re like my LA they’ll be ok with taking it if it can be identified as far as being a garden pesticide in its original packaging. It’s not something random decanted into a unlabelled coke bottle at least.
    4.44kW SW Facing in-roof array with 3.6kW Givenergy Gen 2 Hybrid inverter and 9.5kWh Givenergy battery. 9kW Panasonic Aquarea L (R290) ASHP. #gasfree since July ‘23
  • Daisymaisy
    Unfortunately the MAFF number isn’t readable as that would’ve really helped. You might just have to ring them- if they’re like my LA they’ll be ok with taking it if it can be identified as far as being a garden pesticide in its original packaging. It’s not something random decanted into a unlabelled coke bottle at least.
    I've heard back from the hazardous waste people and they advise that they can collect them as 'I have some idea of the chemicals inside the bottles'.   Happy days!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback