Redundancy - is this legal?

Options
I wont mention company name etc however there is a situation whereby a company is shutting off support for 1 warehouse, this involves making 4 people redundant, to avoid specifics etc, of these 4 people lets say their roles are called Role A and Role B (role A is senior, Role B is not). Role A there is 2 people currently, Role B 2 people currently.
Original plan was to make all 4 at this warehouse redundant.
Now there is 'rumor' that the manager is trying to keep his 2 favorites, 1 in role A, 1 in role B in their current roles as they stand and make the other 2 redundant saying that the site still needs support but at a reduced capacity (50%). is this legal? im just interested on what the 2 people being made redundant can do in such a situation whereby now its not the entire site going but only 1/2? I hope this makes sense i can try and clarify what i mean if ive written this poorly. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,076 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    as long as it's not seen as discriminatory selection then it's likely ok.  And as long as they follow the company's employment contract conditions.  Not sure how minimum redundancy payouts work for this.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it's legal
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wont mention company name etc however there is a situation whereby a company is shutting off support for 1 warehouse, this involves making 4 people redundant, to avoid specifics etc, of these 4 people lets say their roles are called Role A and Role B (role A is senior, Role B is not). Role A there is 2 people currently, Role B 2 people currently.
    Original plan was to make all 4 at this warehouse redundant.
    Now there is 'rumor' that the manager is trying to keep his 2 favorites, 1 in role A, 1 in role B in their current roles as they stand and make the other 2 redundant saying that the site still needs support but at a reduced capacity (50%). is this legal? im just interested on what the 2 people being made redundant can do in such a situation whereby now its not the entire site going but only 1/2? I hope this makes sense i can try and clarify what i mean if ive written this poorly. 
    Yes.  It would be lawful - essentially trying to save the jobs of two people.  How the two being made redundant  are selected needs not to be unlawfully discriminatory.  
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firstly, a rumour may or may not contain an element of truth

Secondly, if the manager's so called "favourites" are such because they perform better, have more skills or cause less problems then it is perfectly reasonable to avoid making these people redundant if at all possible
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback