Redundancy and SGP

Options
On 2 feb 23 I received a letter from my manager telling me I was being laid off with immediate effect in accordance with my contract as the company has lost contracts. The company has laid off 50% of the staff nationwide. I have 9 years service with this company and for the first 5 weeks of lay off they paid me approximately £76 per week (my normal weekly pay would be £425 per week). 
I have spoken to ACAS and they say I should email my company asking for redundancy as I have nothing to lose. They sent me some information regarding templates for the email but none seem to relate to asking for redundancy in my position. Can anyone help with the wording of this email as I have no idea how to go about it. Any advice greatly appreciated 
Many thanks
Dave

Comments

• ThePeopleDirector
    Options
    Hi Dave,

Firstly you can only be laid off for a maximum of 5 days in a 3-month period.

You’re entitled to guarantee pay during lay off or short-time working. The maximum you can get is £31 a day for 5 days in any 3-month period - so a maximum of £150.  If you usually earn less than £31 a day you’ll get your normal daily rate.  If you work part-time, your entitlement is worked out proportionally.

Applying for redundancy

You could apply for redundancy and claim redundancy pay if you’ve been laid off without pay or put on short-time and receive less than half a week’s pay for:

• 4 or more weeks in a row
    • 6 or more weeks in a 13-week period
    1. Write to your employer to claim redundancy within 4 weeks of the last day of the lay-off or short-time period. 

2. Your employer has 7 days to accept your claim or give you a written counter-notice. 

3. If your employer does not give you counter-notice, you can assume they’ve accepted your redundancy claim. 

4. A counter-notice means your employer expects work will soon be available - it must start within 4 weeks and must last at least 13 weeks.

Your employer can withdraw their counter-notice in writing.

Resignation

You must resign to get redundancy pay. The timing is crucial - you have 3 weeks to hand in your notice, starting from:

• 7 days after you gave written notice to your employer (if you did not get a counter-notice)
    • the date your employer withdrew their counter-notice.

Your email could be something as simple as:

I have been laid off now since .... and as there has been no communication regarding my return to full-time employment, I am now seeking Redundancy in accordance with www.gov.uk. 

I look forward to you confirming in the next 7 days my redundancy payment and a date for a meeting to discuss my exit from the company as per https://www.gov.uk/lay-offs-short-timeworking/applying-for-redundancy- 

Make sure you are happy to follow through as they do not have to take you back if you change your mind.
    I used to be known as ableandy but can't get into my old account anymore :( 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback