Weekly state pension in arrears after someone dies.

Options

Comments

• BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ah thanks @p00hsticks - I wasn't sure if was you or someone else that had said 6 weeks - I think I know who it was then.  I'm ready to send it to them - could have done a little while ago, but was curious to see if they did write.  The house completed on Tuesday and everyone else has had their money from that - I'm just keeping a last bit back until I'm sure we're clear of everything else - and whatever DWP come up with.

We've done really well on the timing with this one - helped by her being organised and having very simple affairs - she passed away on 13th Feb and we completed the sale on the house on 13th June - exactly 4 months.  That was the last 'transaction' in liquidating her estate - everything else was already in - PBs, ISA and bank account.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BooJewels said:
    Ah thanks @p00hsticks - I wasn't sure if was you or someone else that had said 6 weeks - I think I know who it was then.  I'm ready to send it to them - could have done a little while ago, but was curious to see if they did write.  The house completed on Tuesday and everyone else has had their money from that - I'm just keeping a last bit back until I'm sure we're clear of everything else - and whatever DWP come up with.

We've done really well on the timing with this one - helped by her being organised and having very simple affairs - she passed away on 13th Feb and we completed the sale on the house on 13th June - exactly 4 months.  That was the last 'transaction' in liquidating her estate - everything else was already in - PBs, ISA and bank account.
    That is a good time scale. Mum hasn't distributed Nan's money yet due to 2 things, 1 was awaiting this letter from the DWP which she replied back to a couple of days ago, she's due on hol soon so hoping the DWP's response is back by the time they get back. The 2nd is at the end of the month there is to be a 'service' (for what of another word, I don't know the official name) because Mum has paid for a headstone with both my Grandparents  names and details on and an official says a few words. Mum isn't sure if there is a fee to pay for this. Nan had a funeral plan paid for in advance (Mum did this when Nan went into a care home) and she has paid the FD already but she's unsure if there is any more to pay. Once the DWP responds and the service is over and Mum can find out if there's more to pay, then she is in a position to pay out to beneficiaries.  
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,488 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BooJewels said:

That is efficient, we’re at 6 months and just waiting for the cheque from NS&I, OH did opt to leave them in for one final draw. The house completed last month, it’s somehow comforting knowing that the climbing roses we planted for FIL and MIL will be flowering now for the new owners to enjoy.
  • BooJewels
    Options
    BooJewels said:

That is efficient, we’re at 6 months and just waiting for the cheque from NS&I, OH did opt to leave them in for one final draw. The house completed last month, it’s somehow comforting knowing that the climbing roses we planted for FIL and MIL will be flowering now for the new owners to enjoy.
    With NS&I the money in her PBs was paid as a bank transfer into the estate account, but 2 x £25 wins she'd had were sent by usual paper warrant, made out to my name.  They're a bit strange.

Funny you should mention roses - when we sold my parents' house in 2022, the buyers said the mature trees and established garden were really important to them - within a week of completion the whole area had been bulldozed and all the trees removed (yet they were on the plans that were passed for planning).  The house is now about 3 times the size and unrecognisable, with a postage stamp sized garden remaining.   

With my aunt's house sold this week - the really lovely garden became a real bone of contention and almost halted the sale - it delayed completion 2 weeks.  He hasn't even had a structural survey done on the property, yet was obsessed with an old bench and some planted pots (at least that's what I think it was) we were leaving in the garden.  In the particulars I said the garden would be left as seen and he thought it should be cleared totally.  You can't win sometimes.
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,488 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BooJewels said:

Funny you should mention roses - when we sold my parents' house in 2022, the buyers said the mature trees and established garden were really important to them - within a week of completion the whole area had been bulldozed and all the trees removed (yet they were on the plans that were passed for planning).  The house is now about 3 times the size and unrecognisable, with a postage stamp sized garden remaining.   

With my aunt's house sold this week - the really lovely garden became a real bone of contention and almost halted the sale - it delayed completion 2 weeks.  He hasn't even had a structural survey done on the property, yet was obsessed with an old bench and some planted pots (at least that's what I think it was) we were leaving in the garden.  In the particulars I said the garden would be left as seen and he thought it should be cleared totally.  You can't win sometimes.
    It is really sad when people feel they have to slash and burn. When my widowed grandmother moved into the granny flat at my parents’, the people who bought what had been her house for 50 years cleared everything, including some really beautiful shrubs and roses. My parents rang round and we all conspired to make sure she never found out. I expect it’s concrete and plastic grass now.
  • BooJewels
    Options
    I'm not overly bothered what they do with the places once bought, the money's in my bank and it's theirs now to do what they want with.  It's just odd to me that the gardens were given disproportionate importance, then their ideas changed quite quickly.

My sister and I just got an unexpected simultaneous email from the conveyancing solicitor (who was an incompetent airhead) and as I was about to read it, got a text from my sister saying "he's complaining that now he's seen it, the grass is the wrong colour of green" - which just about sums up the last couple of weeks with him.   :p
  • Spendless
    Options
    It's been over a week and Mum has had no reply from her letter to the DWP. Nan's service with her headstone is tomorrow. After this service  Mum is paying the beneficiaries  of Nan's estate. 
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,975 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Spendless said:
    It's been over a week and Mum has had no reply from her letter to the DWP. Nan's service with her headstone is tomorrow. After this service  Mum is paying the beneficiaries  of Nan's estate. 
    I think she is being a bit optimistic expecting a reply from DWP after a week.....
  • Spendless
    Options
    Spendless said:
    I think she is being a bit optimistic expecting a reply from DWP after a week.....
    Hmmm, how long do you think before she gets one?. I know Mum she'll re-pay it cos she hasn't heard and will be convinced someone will be banging at her door about it. My view is she doesn't pay until it is confirmed that she HAS to.
  • BooJewels
    Options
    I got my expected letter from DWP about over-payment of my aunt's Pension Credit (mentioned earlier in the thread) on the 21st June, having spoken to them on the 9th and them generating the letter as we were on the phone.  So it took 12 days for a letter already prepped in the system to arrive, so I think it's going to take rather longer than that for them to see and respond to a new letter, unfortunately.

I haven't actually had a letter about paying back the pension yet, plus I think there might be something else.  I thought I might have had it by now, as I'm only a week-ish behind your estate.  My sister and I are executors and main beneficiaries and there's a third beneficiary.  We've decided between us to keep an amount back from our share to cover what I estimate we might potentially owe and pay the third person their full share at this time.

I will pay the amount if asked, because my aunt was very proud that she never owed anyone a penny after she paid off her mortgage in 1972 (many years early), so she'd be mortified at the idea of not paying it, so it feels right to do so - as it's in her name.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback