Hair removal

Options
Anyone try those things that you pop into the machine and they are supposed to remove pet hair from clothes and bedding?

If so, do they work or a waste of money?

Or any other tips anyone has, Ive a year round moulting pug and cat here and my house is getting very very hairy

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     I use them. The bedding comes out hair free. 
  • Longwalker
    Longwalker Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    Which ones do you recommend? There seems to be a lot of the market with varying reviews
  • Longwalker
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    Which ones do you recommend? There seems to be a lot of the market with varying reviews
    No recommendation ?

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afraid I don't use the in-washing machine things, but for curtains and soft furniture, I go for a hoover followed by a korbond double sided lint brush. It's shocking how much extra the little brush picks up from things you'd assume to be clean after a hoover. You can use them on clothes too, but it'd be time consuming to go through a whole wardrobe. I'm rarely out anywhere it'd matter if there were a few cat hairs on me, and find keeping the surroundings clean keeps me clean enough. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 April 2023 at 9:07PM
    Options
    Zoom groom for the dog at regular intervals. I’m always amazed by how much fur comes off a smooth haired dog. I’ve taken to doing it in the garden birds can make use of it for their nest.
    Long handled rubber brush for the carpet. I use it to gather up the fur into a pile, then hoover it. It’s a lot more effective than Hoover alone.

Dog is banned from the bed. That solves the pet hair on bedding problem.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Longwalker
    Options
    Im getting it off the carpets and furniture, Carpets I use my walking boots - slide across the carpets, the amount thats lifted - AFTER a vacuuming is unbelievable ( I hate that my miele 2000 has died ) 

But its the throws. I have two sofas in the kitchen that the cat and dog sleep on, play on etc, and they are just so hairy, its getting me stressed and Im not house proud. Im resorting to washing and leaving on the line for a week, let the wind and rain do its best

The tumble drier did take a lot off, but Im short of cash and am not using it 

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When we still had our lovely cat, I once bought one of those 'miracle worker' hair remover things that you are supposed to pop into the machine - when I read the instructions properly I just threw it away. I quote "do not expect perfect results unless you run a wash at 90 degrees". The 90 deg on my washer lasts about two hours - what a waste of water and energy - and anything other than sheets or towels would have been ruined at that temperature. 60 deg for 60 mins is the highest I go for my wash and that's bedding and towels. Everything else is cold washed. 

So, I wouldn't bother unless they have improved those miracle working hair removers now. 

Would it be easier to brush your cat and dog each day? I expect you do that anyway but with a furminator or something similar? Some pets (not our cat though, unfortunately) seem to enjoy being brushed and having a bit of 'me' time with their owners. Relaxing for owners, too, they tell me. At least your pets seem to confine their hair shedding to throws on your sofas. You're going to get some mess with pets - as you do with children. There was that saying I used to think of when our cat was shedding lots of hair - 'you can either have a clean and tidy home or a lovely pet'. We no longer have our pet, feel too emotional to even thinking about having another one (she was irreplaceable) and our home may be a bit cleaner and tidier but we aren't happy about it.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Longwalker
    Options
    Hmmm I wrote a post and its not posted

The cat loves the furminator and lies as happy as Larry to get groomed 

The dog/? Not a mission. Its a whole fighting session, even getting his harness on for his walk which he loves, has to go through a whole routine lol

This is a dog, that is bouncing to be taken out for a walk, but unless you go out the door before him and then say "walkies: in the correct tone, will stand by the door looking like you are the mad person :smile:

This is a smart cookie, who has me trained rather then me train him 

He gets the furminator just once a week - if I get lucky. But it dont matter, I can remove half his body weigh and still he will cast 

Like I say I can keep the floors and furniture clear, but the throwswhere he is allowed are the things Im struggling with 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     Vamoosh from B&M 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure