Accumulating Pension Credit - Capital reassessment?

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone.  I have a clearer understanding now.

One last thing (for now 😉)   Has the savings threshold always been £10k over the last 15 years?

Did it used to be less?  Has it ever been subject to any inflationary increases?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

One last thing (for now 😉)   Has the savings threshold always been £10k over the last 15 years?

Did it used to be less?  Has it ever been subject to any inflationary increases?
    It changed from £6,000 to £10,000 on the 2nd November 2009.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • whizzywoo
    whizzywoo Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 April 2023 at 3:26PM
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    Are there any specific codes I should look for on bank statements?

Are these likely to be weekly or monthly?

State pension
    Pension credit
    Disability uplift to PC
    DLA or PIP

State Pension (SP) 4 weekly.
    Pension credit (PC) 4 weekly.
    Disability uplift to pension credit? no such thing because it will be paid in with PC.
    DLA/PIP 4 weekly.
    It's also possible for both State Pension and Pension Credit to be paid weekly.

Another thing to be aware of is that Pension Credit can be included with the State Pension rather than separately. 
    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

Has the savings threshold always been £10k over the last 15 years?

If he has been claiming PC for that period of time, it's worth checking that an assessed income period (AIP) doesn't apply.
       Probably unlikely as AIP's stopped in 2016, but worth checking. His historic PC letters should indicate if an AIP was / is in force.

Perhaps confirm this with the Pension Service, when he notifies them of his savings amount. I would strongly advise keeping all correspondence / notes of tel calls, etc.

Info on AIP's here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pension-credit/pension-credit-extra-information#assessed-income-periods-aips
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Interesting.

Under what circumstances would an AIP with no end date possibly have been granted?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

Under what circumstances would an AIP with no end date possibly have been granted?
    AIPs needed renewal every 5 years until you had reached the age of 75, then it was granted indefinitely (i.e. until death). When AIPs were abolished, those holding an indefinite award did not lose it, but continue keeping it to their passing.

Only people 82 or older today would still be holding an AIP.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Update - plus additional question.  (Sorry for not coming back sooner)

Turns out they are under the £10k limit for their main CA plus their savings account.   About £7k, if you ignore this month's income and COL payments.

However, this doesn't include an injury compensation payment that they received following an accident about 10 years ago that they have effectively ringfenced and don't think of as "spends"    (c.£15k)

They are adamant that they DID ring the benefits people at the time who told them that it would be disregarded because it was compensation.  So they've assumed it will continue to always be thus!

Is this likely to be true?  Is it likely to be an opened ended disregard, time wise?

If they spent (some of) it, could they re-accumulate it again?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

However, this doesn't include an injury compensation payment that they received following an accident about 10 years ago that they have effectively ringfenced and don't think of as "spends"    (c.£15k)

They are adamant that they DID ring the benefits people at the time who told them that it would be disregarded because it was compensation.  So they've assumed it will continue to always be thus!

Very possibly.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/365783/hbgm-bp1-assessment-of-capital.pdf

See 1.159  &  1.181

It would be good if they had confirmation of the disregard decision in writing, but I presume not.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Sea_Shell
    edited 17 May 2023 at 7:18PM
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

Very possibly.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/365783/hbgm-bp1-assessment-of-capital.pdf

See 1.159  &  1.181

It would be good if they had confirmation of the disregard decision in writing, but I presume not.

That's great thank you.

Here's hoping the same rules apply to pension credit as they do housing benefit (which that manual is for?)

Is there a similar manual for PC?

ETA - It's ok, I think I've found it.
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 May 2023 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

If they spent (some of) it, could they re-accumulate it again?

Whilst I think it's a no the reality is probably yes.
    Once the compensation money is spent it's spent and any savings used to replenish that is not compensation. But, unless they exhausted their savings completely I don't see how anyone could possibly determine whether the spent money came from general savings or the sum of compensation.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback