We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Just been offered 2% cashback by Barclaycard

Options
Hi...just rang up Barclaycard to close my CC a/c with them, as I now have a Captial one 4% cashback cc. Got put through to the 'oh please don't close your account' dept, asking me why I was closing my CC a/c with Barclaycard etc, told them why.

Well Barclaycard told me that they would offer me 2% cashback through December (whats left of it) and January 2008 to stop me closing the CC a/c, told them no thanks. Then they told me since I had a 5 year good credit history with Barclaycard, I would be throwing this away. Have I done the right thing? I can build a good cc history with Capital one (or any other CC company), as I always pay off the full amount at the end of each month.

Slightly concerned about the 'throwing away 5 year good credit history with Barclaycard' comment, as I will be looking to do some home improvements next year, which will be financed through a personal loan.

Any comments/advice welcome.

Thanks

Kam

Comments

• JIMBOBC
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about their comment. Your credit history is good because like you say you have always paid on time. Other credit card companies will see this when they do a credit check.
  • kam05
    kam05 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your comment JIMBOBC...TBH, I would have taken Barclaycard up on their cashback offer, but i didn't because:

1. They were only offering the cashback for less than 2 months.
    2. I only like to have/use one credit card.
    3. Capital one has given me a bigger C/C spending limit compared to Barclaycard.
  • mountainchrisriver
    Options
    Yep, ignore them, they are just trying to panic you into keeping their card... ;)
    :D
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    You're "throwing away 5 year good credit history with Barclaycard", not throwing away a 5 year good credit history [with the CRAs e.g.]

Clearly all your "good credit history with Barclaycard" entitles you to is 2% cashback for 5 weeks.

I wouldn't worry about it.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • robert_harper_2000
    Options
    Just thought throw in my bit too. I did the same phoned up to cancel the card and was offered 2% upto £50 per month for six months. I took them up but will prolly cancel the card at the deadline
    Help me to help you :santa2:
  • kam05
    kam05 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    You're "throwing away 5 year good credit history with Barclaycard", not throwing away a 5 year good credit history [with the CRAs e.g.]

Clearly all your "good credit history with Barclaycard" entitles you to is 2% cashback for 5 weeks.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes Paul, you are right, 5 years good credit history (with all payments made on time) entitles me to 2% cashback for 5 weeks. Told them to close my CC a/c down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport