WASPI ‘victory’

Options
woolly_wombat
woolly_wombat Posts: 819 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Not a popular topic on MSE but this was also mentioned on Woman’s Hour today:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman has agreed to review its stage 2 report following a legal challenge by the Women Against State Pension Inequality (Waspi).

The PHSO conceded out of court that part of its investigation into how increases to the state pension age were communicated was flawed and must be reconsidered.”

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    More a case of a battle won rather than the war.  No-one is expecting a change in the outcome though.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • woolly_wombat
    Options
    There is talk of compensation for a failure to give adequate notice.

We’ll see…..
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is talk of compensation for a failure to give adequate notice.

We’ll see…..
    That is far too advanced and optimistic. The PHSO has agreed to review one point of its stage two report and state 3 with it.  However, the result may not change and the PHSO are claiming their investigation was fair and impartial.

We'll see is the best anyone can say but its not a major victory and that is why it is barely getting any media coverage.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with the subject or not, it will be disappointing if this thread is deleted by the forum police like similar ones have been.
  • sgx2000
    sgx2000 Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Equality is equality...
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's disgusting that WASPE are misleading their members, by letting them think that 'victory' = full pension backdating to 60.

Reality is that compensation for failing to send out letters in a timely manner, over a 2 year period, will be more like £500 or £1K.

I also find comments (on other boards!)  blaming the Tories for failing to promulgate the changes to be beyond ridiculous..... considering that  the future re-equalisation of State pension ages was announced in the 1993 budget and widely advertised/talked about from1995 onwards, one would have expected these pesky letters to have been sent out between 1996 and 2010 (when the gradual changes began).  Hmm - remind me again which party was in power from 1997 to 2010.....

If/when this compo is confirmed, I for one won't be claiming it.  I'm not a hypocrite.
    It'll be interesting to see whether you get an option on whether or not to claim your pittance (sorry, pension compensation), or whether all women affected 'have' to accept compensation, even if it caused them no surprise/distress/financial hardship.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 April 2023 at 12:28AM
    Options
    Marcon said:
    I think it's disgusting that WASPE are misleading their members, by letting them think that 'victory' = full pension backdating to 60.

Reality is that compensation for failing to send out letters in a timely manner, over a 2 year period, will be more like £500 or £1K.

I also find comments (on other boards!)  blaming the Tories for failing to promulgate the changes to be beyond ridiculous..... considering that  the future re-equalisation of State pension ages was announced in the 1993 budget and widely advertised/talked about from1995 onwards, one would have expected these pesky letters to have been sent out between 1996 and 2010 (when the gradual changes began).  Hmm - remind me again which party was in power from 1997 to 2010.....

If/when this compo is confirmed, I for one won't be claiming it.  I'm not a hypocrite.
    It'll be interesting to see whether you get an option on whether or not to claim your pittance (sorry, pension compensation), or whether all women affected 'have' to accept compensation, even if it caused them no surprise/distress/financial hardship.
    If it's paid automatically I'll work something out.  Probably donate it to a suitable charity.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It would probably be paid automatically and then taxed.  :D But I never so no to government money even if I see very little of it int he end. 

I don't feel I wasn't warned of the changes, FA told me in about 1998 - have known since then that the ages would be equalised. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure