Barclaycard declined Credit Card application despite being pre approved, appeal or apply elsewhere

Options
2»

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,637 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Credit scores are meaningless. I don’t think appealing will have any success but no harm trying. 

I don’t ever think borrowing to invest in your pension is a good idea and this is one of the reasons why. Presumably you had the cash there waiting to repay the card before the 0% expired and you should just have repaid it or at least waited before investing in the pension. Credit card companies can decide when and to who to offer 0% deals and at the moment they are less frequently offered. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TakeittotheLimit.
    Options
    I got knocked by Barclaycard as well, like the OP I only had one credit card for many years and my !!!!!! `credit score` on Clearscore is 1000 out of 1000, I've managed to get quite a few cards since including HSBC who gave me a pretty hefty credit limit.
    I was in an Iva  about 10 years ago and my dodgy files have long since disappeared like a fart in the wind, but obviously Barclays still won't touch me with a barge pole....so what... move on. lifes to short to be arsed about a banking decision that you'll never get a proper answer to why they have refused you credit,  plenty of other credit cards and banks to use.
    "Life is short even in its longest days".
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RWhitts said:
    Applied for a Barclaycard 0% charge and 0% transfer in order to pay off another credit card that I was about to pay off with a bonus but was (quite rightly) convinced by the Pension forum to sacrifice the bonus in to my pension and to pay off the CC another way. All good up until Barclay Card declined me despite being "Pre-approved". I have a flawless credit record, good earnings / employment history, masses of equity in my house, no dependants etc so am quite frustrated at my time apparently being wasted.

I always used to use my CC only to buy on-line purchases and always paid it off but recently built up a one time £4,800 debt on it for a building project where I didn't want to borrow anymore and was going to use income to pay it off over the next few months.

Am I going to get anywhere in appealing? Also I need to do something as the bonus has gone to the pension so shall I apply to another company as well, if so any suggestions? I've got some options from searches but obviously the zero fee one was of particular interest.

I'm also worried that getting declined again could affect my credit score.

Thanks in advance.
    Pre Approved where?

Just make sure that your details match up. 
    Can sometimes be as simple as address in wrong format.
    Life in the slow lane
  • RWhitts
    RWhitts Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all, reading everything at least gives me a better insight in to it all.

I have a certain amount on time on my hands, can type fast and will get a small amount of satisfaction from knowing someone at Barclaycard will been forced to read through my winging drivel  :) I get free postage from work as well so maybe I'll just fire off a few repeat ones every now and then, ala Andy Dufresne finally getting his books in Shawshank Redemption  :D

It just grinds my gears knowing I work in an industry where if I lead potential customers on then turned them down in that way I'd be hauled up.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,180 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 April 2023 at 9:57PM
    Options
    Barclaycard are an oddball in the industry in my opinion, they seem to be using different algorithms to the other card suppliers.

They had that issue a few years back where they nerfed limits for many of their customers, ironically when they did that, those with higher utilisation kept higher limits.

Even before my limit drop out of all my cards, they were very unreliable on 0% offers been unavailable, tesco etc. would have the offers all year round whilst barclaycard seemed to only be 3-6 months out of the year.

Even if there is a fee, 0% interest with fee is still far cheaper than paying normal interest rates.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,445 Forumite
    Options
    I just got the declined notice when buying a buy now pay later thing with amazon? I could just buy it but decided to try this way.
    I have a barclays account with plenty of cash in it and never been overdrawn yet this out of date bank refusing me a tiny bit of credit is insulting so I've decided to switch to another bank and give them my business instead.
    Putting aside the fact that this thread is almost a year old .....
    What has your Barclays account got to do with whoever provides Amazon's credit facilities?  The two are unrelated - the simple fact is that you didn't meet Amazon's (or their credit provider's) lending criteria for whatever reason.  If you're happy with your Barclays account, I see no reason to leave them.

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,445 Forumite
    Options

my credit is good my credit score is exceptional
    The first thing to point out is that your credit score (at least, the credit score you see on your CRA report) is utterly meaningless.  It's not used, nor even seen, by any lender.  Since each lender has their own, highly confidential, lending criteria, you have no way of knowing why you have failed their internal scoring checks.

Amazon are using barclays as there credit options
    OK, that's a fair enough point, I wasn't aware of that.  Although it's quite likely that the credit arm of the business is run separately from the current account side of operations, so the status of your Barclays current account will have no direct bearing on your ability to obtain credit with them.  The only aspect of a current account that feeds into your credit record is whether you have an overdraft facility available and how often you use it.

declined by my own bank 👍

Barclays bank is out of touch and need a revamp in my opinion infact in my very own opinion I think Barclays bank is crap 🤨 but of course that's just my opinion 
    You're entitled to your opinion, of course - and I'm not saying that Barclays are any better or any worse than any other bank.  If you're not happy with them then of course it makes sense to move to a different bank (you may even be able to bag a switching bonus for doing so, if you're lucky).  But it would seem to be "cutting off your nose to spite your face" to ditch them purely on the basis of the Amazon credit glitch, if you are otherwise happy with them.

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just got the declined notice when buying a buy now pay later thing with amazon? I could just buy it but decided to try this way.
    I have a barclays account with plenty of cash in it and never been overdrawn yet this out of date bank refusing me a tiny bit of credit is insulting so I've decided to switch to another bank and give them my business instead.
    Putting aside the fact that this thread is almost a year old .....
    What has your Barclays account got to do with whoever provides Amazon's credit facilities?  The two are unrelated - the simple fact is that you didn't meet Amazon's (or their credit provider's) lending criteria for whatever reason.  If you're happy with your Barclays account, I see no reason to leave them.

Hmmmmm year old or not its still relevant 👍
    Anyway! Amazon are using barclays as there credit options and yes my credit is good my credit score is exceptional and as I said I could of paid upfront like I would normally do but fancied my luck and declined by my own bank 👍
    Whether it's relevant or not is debatable as this post is about credit cards but forum rules are you shouldn't bump old threads or hijack them for your own topic. It would be easier to add a new post to the sub, maybe not on the credit card forum given it's about finance
  • Christianwoods
    Christianwoods Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 March at 3:32PM
    Options
    That's for a moderator to lock or admin to install code then but thx for ur comment 👍 now I know 😊
    I've deleted my original post so as not to HIJACK somebody's thread and be told by someone who isn't exactly a mod or administrator as per rules and regulations of this forum 
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's for a moderator to lock or admin to install code then but thx for ur comment 👍 now I know 😊
    I've deleted my original post so as not to HIJACK somebody's thread and be told by someone who isn't exactly a mod or administrator as per rules and regulations of this forum 
    Anyone on the forum can point you to the forum rules or indeed report your post for breaking them, mods or admins don't need to be the ones to advise on the forum rules

Bumping old posts that are unrelated leads to confusing answers which may cause you problems with your own case as people don't always check every username and give you advice relating to a different post - that's why it's better to separate them so you get useful information
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback