Government tax receipts on interest being paid this year ??

Options

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Not sure where they've plucked £20K from - it's obviously the annual ISA allowance, so anyone with 'up to £20,000 in accounts' can already avoid tax on interest income simply by using the existing tax shelter, and PSA entitlements are over and above that!
    Someone with £20000 in a normal savings account receiving 5% is going to get £1000 in interest, which is the PSA.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    phillw said:
    eskbanker said:
    Not sure where they've plucked £20K from - it's obviously the annual ISA allowance, so anyone with 'up to £20,000 in accounts' can already avoid tax on interest income simply by using the existing tax shelter, and PSA entitlements are over and above that!
    Someone with £20000 in a normal savings account receiving 5% is going to get £1000 in interest, which is the PSA.
    See previous posts, in between the one you quoted and yours!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 August 2023 at 6:27PM
    Options
    Considering that until recently all interest was taxed at source and you could only get tax refunded if below income threshold plus availability of ISA wrapper etc it all seems a bit of fuss about nothing. Cake and eat it comes to mind.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,390 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jimjames said:
    Considering that until recently all interest was taxed at source and you could only get tax refunded if below income threshold plus availability of ISA wrapper etc it all seems a bit of fuss about nothing
    Yes, and the annual Isa allowance used to be nowhere near £20,000... What was it? £7k?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,473 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 August 2023 at 6:29PM
    Options
    wmb194 said:
    jimjames said:
    Considering that until recently all interest was taxed at source and you could only get tax refunded if below income threshold plus availability of ISA wrapper etc it all seems a bit of fuss about nothing
    Yes, and the annual Isa allowance used to be nowhere near £20,000... What was it? £7k?
    Yes, and to use the full £7k allowance, you needed to put £4k of it into S&S. If you just used a cash ISA it was £3k.
    Personally, I'd be in favour of adjusting income tax thresholds and taxing interest at source again. Simpler, more progressive, giving those without savings the benefit of using it against income.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    masonic said:
    wmb194 said:
    jimjames said:
    Yes, and to use the full £7k allowance, you needed to put £4k of it into S&S. If you just used a cash ISA it was £3k.
    Personally, I'd be in favour of adjusting income tax thresholds and taxing interest at source again. Simpler, more progressive, giving those without savings the benefit of using it against income.
    Sorry but I’m in the other boat.
    This suits me fine, I get paid 45.6p an hour as a 24 hour carer for my friend.
    A whole £4010 a year with my £10 Christmas bonus.
    I get a nice income from my savings pots and will do for the next 5 - 7 years.
    This is the only reason I can survive.
    All I need do is file a self assessment return once a year.
    Your way would mean I don’t get all my money but have to beg for it back.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    wmb194 said:
    masonic said:
    wmb194 said:
    jimjames said:
    No, you wouldn't have to beg or wait. Under the previous system you could register with banks and BS' an R85* form for each account and have interest paid gross.

*There was another one - R43? - if you lived abroad.

Ok, But that would be like 20/30 accounts.
    Self assessment form only needs 2 boxes filled out for me, Income and savings.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,390 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    wmb194 said:
    masonic said:
    wmb194 said:
    jimjames said:
    No, you wouldn't have to beg or wait. Under the previous system you could register with banks and BS' an R85* form for each account and have interest paid gross.

*There was another one - R43? - if you lived abroad.

Ok, But that would be like 20/30 accounts.
    Self assessment form only needs 2 boxes filled out for me, Income and savings.
    It wouldn't be a big deal, you'd only have to do it once and otherwise it could be in the normal course of opening a new account. These days you'd probably just be asked to tick a box in an app.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 12 August 2023 at 2:44PM
    Options
    AJ Bell called it a tax trap

I would have thought a respected investment platform, would not use this sort of Daily Mail/Daily Express type language.

A term also used by the BBC, the Telegraph, the Guardian, the FT, the Independent and probably most other media sources. So maybe less of the journalistic snobbery?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback