Quick questions about Tapo smart plugs.....

Options
mmmmikey
mmmmikey Posts: 1,700 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi - a couple of quick questions about Tapo plugs if I may? I'd like to monitor power usage and also set up a couple of timeswitches in my workshop/shed which is out of range of the house WiFi. If I set up Tapo P110s with schedules in the house, will the schedules work if I then move them to the shed or do they rely on a WiFi connection to switch at the right times? Also, will they record energy data which I can then get access to by moving them back to the house? Thanks, Mike.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 April 2023 at 6:14PM
    Options
    mmmmikey said:
    Hi - a couple of quick questions about Tapo plugs if I may? I'd like to monitor power usage and also set up a couple of timeswitches in my workshop/shed which is out of range of the house WiFi. If I set up Tapo P110s with schedules in the house, will the schedules work if I then move them to the shed or do they rely on a WiFi connection to switch at the right times? Also, will they record energy data which I can then get access to by moving them back to the house? Thanks, Mike.
    Yes they will function without WiFi and still record usage, though I do not know what the tike drift would be over time. I took one into work to measure some usage, did not bother to change it to the work network and the data was fine when I took it home a week later. Not sure if there is a maximum time without WiFi that they will function correctly though.

I did also set two up on my phone with tethering as the network so I could use them away from WiFi and that worked fine as well. 
  • mmmmikey
    Options
    Thanks @MattMattMattUK that answers my question perfectly :smile:
  • apw81
    apw81 Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As an aside, how is the workshop/shed powered? If it’s wired up to your house, you could extend your Wi-Fi network with power line adapters, also from TP-Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08QSK84JL

Though, I apologise for the cost of this suggestion; they’ve jumped in price since I bought them.
  • mmmmikey
    Options
    apw81 said:
    As an aside, how is the workshop/shed powered? If it’s wired up to your house, you could extend your Wi-Fi network with power line adapters, also from TP-Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08QSK84JL

Though, I apologise for the cost of this suggestion; they’ve jumped in price since I bought them.

Thanks for the idea - something to look at. It's not something I'd do purely for the smart plugs but it would certainly be useful to have wifi in the workshop for web browsing and internet radio. I hadn't really thought of using power line adapters - the power does come from one of the house circuits but via a mini consumer unit in the shed - not sure if that would get in the way? A really helpful suggestion though and something I'll definitely be following up, thanks again :)
  • matt_drummer
    matt_drummer Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a wi-fi extender for similar reasons, it does exactly what it says and the cost was minimal.
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    mmmmikey said:
    apw81 said:

Thanks for the idea - something to look at. It's not something I'd do purely for the smart plugs but it would certainly be useful to have wifi in the workshop for web browsing and internet radio. I hadn't really thought of using power line adapters - the power does come from one of the house circuits but via a mini consumer unit in the shed - not sure if that would get in the way? A really helpful suggestion though and something I'll definitely be following up, thanks again :)
    They don't have to be on the same final circuit. Mine link from the house to the garage which is fed separately via SWA split off between meter and consumer unit.
  • mmmmikey
    Options
    Thanks @Qyburn will have another look at them this evening - a good use for the Amazon vouchers I hope to get soon from Loop :)
  • bob2302
    bob2302 Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Yes they will function without WiFi and still record usage, though I do not know what the tike drift would be over time. I took one into work to measure some usage, did not bother to change it to the work network and the data was fine when I took it home a week later. Not sure if there is a maximum time without WiFi that they will function correctly though.
    So do they retain all the setup, including the wifi, when moved between sockets. I thought someone said that you have to set them up again when they lose power.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What sort of detail are you looking for from the metering? All I can get out of mine is basic stuff like lifetime usage, and usage today IIRC, no fancy graphs or anything.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    cattytown said:
    What sort of detail are you looking for from the metering? All I can get out of mine is basic stuff like lifetime usage, and usage today IIRC, no fancy graphs or anything.
    That's the P100. The P110 has energy monitoring.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback