Home Insurance - burst pipe and large water bill?

royP_2 Forumite Posts: 216
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Back in January my Brother in Laws house had a burst pipe, flooding the ground floor of his house.
His house was empty at the time as he is in a care home and waiting for it to be sold.
Two days ago South West Water sent him a bill for £3600!! Which is payment for the water lost before the burst was discovered, would the insurance company cover this cost?
Perhaps clutching at straws here on his behalf.
Thanks for any replies.


  • huckster
    huckster Forumite Posts: 4,708
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    So many different Insurance policies available that it is difficult to say really.

    Yes some policies do cover metered water losses. 
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Forumite Posts: 46,418
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 March at 9:42PM
    Different water company but ours allowed one "leak" right-off.

    Just had a look and there is something on the south west site

  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Forumite Posts: 6,299
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Certainly some will cover escape of metered water but you need to check your policy. 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards