"Your meter certification period is expiring" msg from Octopus Energy

Options
cazs
cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Just had the above msg from Octopus. They have not specified which meter they are referring to - I have both electric and gas with them.

How would I know the expiry date of my meters? 

The gas meter is in my flat, I can see a date of 12/2001 which I believe to be the installation date but it does not mention an expiry date. The electric  meter is in a dedicated room so I can't check that right now.

Is there anywhere I can go online to check these dates?

I'm not sure if Octopus are just pushing this as they want me and everyone to install a smart meter. 
I am not bothered by the idea of a smart meter but as per my understanding, installation includes turning off or disconnecting the boiler and I'm scared they will refuse to turn it back on or reconnect as it is technically At Risk though it works just fine and has done since that declaration 10 years back, and then I would be in s pickle.

So I just want to know where I can check my meters' certificate end date as Octopus email is vague and they have not mentioned the date in question.

Thank you 

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Quickest way to find out would be to ask Octopus.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am not bothered by the idea of a smart meter but as per my understanding, installation includes turning off or disconnecting the boiler and I'm scared they will refuse to turn it back on or reconnect as it is technically At Risk though it works just fine and has done since that declaration 10 years back, and then I would be in s pickle.
    Can we assume from the above comment that you have not had your boiler checked/serviced in the past 10 years? What value do you put on your life and that of your family and friends? 

Carbon Monoxide is known as the silent killer!
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    cazs said:
    Just had the above msg from Octopus. They have not specified which meter they are referring to - I have both electric and gas with them.

How would I know the expiry date of my meters? 

The gas meter is in my flat, I can see a date of 12/2001 which I believe to be the installation date but it does not mention an expiry date. The electric  meter is in a dedicated room so I can't check that right now.

Is there anywhere I can go online to check these dates?

I'm not sure if Octopus are just pushing this as they want me and everyone to install a smart meter. 

So I just want to know where I can check my meters' certificate end date as Octopus email is vague and they have not mentioned the date in question.

Thank you 
    If it was installed in 2001, that would make it at least 22 years old, (plus however many years it might have been sat on a shelf in a warehouse before that). I've seen a list of approved electricity meters and their certification periods, although a similar list for Gas meters doesn't seem readily available.

Some electricity meters had certification periods of 45 years, but the vast majority were 25 years or less. So on the face of it, a 20-25 year certification for a gas meter seems plausible. If you can find the meters model number and search for that specifically you might find something more concrete.

Octopus don't need to trick you into getting a smart meter to pad their metrics though. There's already a shortage of meter fitters meaning some people who want them are already experiencing an extended wait. Replacing meters at the end of certification is a process that predates smart meters, and I can only assume Octopus (and others) suspended replacements during the pandemic and are now catching up, which is why we're seeing so many of these notifications.

Legally, they can't bill you from an expired meter, so it's in their interest to get them exchanged.

@[Deleted User] is right about the boiler as well.

3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback