Passport counter signatory rejected

Options
Hi, I have countersigned passport applications a few times. This time I did it online and it was rejected. I have no idea why and now feel concerned why this might have happened. I phoned the passport office and they declined to give any reason. Do you know how I can find out? Thx 

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have thought that the person who made the passport application would be told what went wrong & why so they can resubmit
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would suspect they were unable to verify your identity, I recently did a verification of identity for a passport photo for a friend and as part of that they needed my info to be able to verify mu ID as well, my passport details and I think that they may well have done a soft search as well.

They will not give you any further information and there is no way around that. 
  • Diana59
    Options
    Andy_L said:
    I would have thought that the person who made the passport application would be told what went wrong & why so they can resubmit
    No, he tried. So did I. 
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2023 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Diana59 said:
    Hi, I have countersigned passport applications a few times. This time I did it online and it was rejected. I have no idea why and now feel concerned why this might have happened. I phoned the passport office and they declined to give any reason. Do you know how I can find out? Thx 

Presumably you didn't qualify as a countersignatory for this particular individual?  (You may have qualified for others in the past and you may still qualify for others in the future).

Did you satisfy the criteria?   Countersigning passport applications and photos: When you must get a signature and who can sign - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

[Edit:  Or if it's online you have to satisfy these criteria  Confirm someone’s identity online for a passport application: Who can confirm someone’s identity - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)]
  • wheldcj
    Options
    I am resurrecting the thread as, just like the OP, I have the same issue.   A friend who I have signed for his children numerous times before asked me to countersign his daughters latest renewal. 

It has been rejected online.  We thought I may just made a typo or something so it was resubmitted and I have put through again with the same issue.  They wouldnt tell him the reason so I phoned the passport office and the lady who answered said that they don't have access to reasons either.

I fit the criteria, I am a chartered insurance broker.  I have known the applicant for 40 years. Naturally it concerns you that there is some background information on yourself that no only prevents you from signing passports but also will raise issues when using your passport next year.   Surely the passport office should be able, on request, to tell you the reason for the rejection??  
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    wheldcj said:
    Surely the passport office should be able, on request, to tell you the reason for the rejection??  
    The problem with telling people why they failed is that you often start to expose how the checks work and therefore make it easier for people to start working out ways around the checks.

Personally I sign passport photos as the Director/Manager of a limited company and/or Director/Manager of a VAT registered business. I've always been curious how they check because you're not even asked to state what route you are an apporioate person to sign. Ok for me its a quick call to HMRC or a check on Companies House but there are things like being a qualified Librarian on the list and I doubt there is a national registery of those!

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wheldcj said:
    I am resurrecting the thread as, just like the OP, I have the same issue.   A friend who I have signed for his children numerous times before asked me to countersign his daughters latest renewal. 

It has been rejected online.  We thought I may just made a typo or something so it was resubmitted and I have put through again with the same issue.  They wouldnt tell him the reason so I phoned the passport office and the lady who answered said that they don't have access to reasons either.

I fit the criteria, I am a chartered insurance broker.  I have known the applicant for 40 years. Naturally it concerns you that there is some background information on yourself that no only prevents you from signing passports but also will raise issues when using your passport next year.   Surely the passport office should be able, on request, to tell you the reason for the rejection??  
    Is your own passport in date?
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wheldcj said:
    Surely the passport office should be able, on request, to tell you the reason for the rejection??  
     Ok for me its a quick call to HMRC or a check on Companies House but there are things like being a qualified Librarian on the list and I doubt there is a national registery of those!

Of course there's a register of qualified librarians. There are professional qualifications just as there are for accountants or surveyors. I am one and frequently sign passport forms
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Andy_L said:
    wheldcj said:

Is your own passport in date?
    That was my first thought
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport