state pension - shortfall payments pension vs hmrc

marie_hc
marie_hc Posts: 77 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello    this is a big help 
Can anyone help me I am going around in circles.I do have 2 questions  most important forst due to shortfall years and end of year 

1  I rang pensions to find if i pay 1 or 2 years shortfall what amount of pension would i get.  was told they don't do deal with that 

I was told to ring tax man 0300 200 3500  and they deal with all of it! but they say to ring pension to find out it worht it.  I had this problem three years ago and didn't pay shortfall because no one would give answer

I need to pay shortfall before 5 april as it will go up again.  I have since claimed pension 

will post second question separately 

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you are past state pension age then you need to contact The Pension Service https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service who will send out a written statement of your options.  HMRC only deal with your NI record, they cannot deal with how it affects your pension.  Do you have access to your on line HMRC account ?  If so post up a few details and someone will help
    Current £££.pp amount being paid
    Number of pre 2016 NI years full
    Number of post 2016 NI years full
    Tax year you reached state retirement
    Any COPE amount if known
    Years which show not full and prices

• marie_hc
    marie_hc Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    molerat said:
    If you are past state pension age then you need to contact The Pension Service https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service who will send out a written statement of your options.  HMRC only deal with your NI record, they cannot deal with how it affects your pension.  Do you have access to your on line HMRC account ?  If so post up a few details and someone will help
    Current £££.pp amount being paid
    Number of pre 2016 NI years full
    Number of post 2016 NI years full
    Tax year you reached state retirement
    Any COPE amount if known
    Years which show not full and prices

what is hmrc online acc.  can i register ?

• marie_hc said:
    Hello    this is a big help 
    Can anyone help me I am going around in circles.I do have 2 questions  most important forst due to shortfall years and end of year 

1  I rang pensions to find if i pay 1 or 2 years shortfall what amount of pension would i get.  was told they don't do deal with that 

I was told to ring tax man 0300 200 3500  and they deal with all of it! but they say to ring pension to find out it worht it.  I had this problem three years ago and didn't pay shortfall because no one would give answer

I need to pay shortfall before 5 april as it will go up again.  I have since claimed pension 

will post second question separately 

Hope this helps it could be a good sticky on the site after endless hours on the phone and getting cut off I found this, just superb and sooo easy. Damn unable to post links but try 3Ws.tax.service.gov.uk/chat/ni

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback