🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Why no good visa cards

Options
I currently have 3 cards in my wallet.

My Amex CC which I use as my main card and also use for business

A Virgin CC

An Egg CC

I always pay off balances in full at the end of each month and have a good credit rating.

So I am currently revising my card holding as neither Virgin or Egg are particulally competative or offer my any incentive to staye with them.

But looking around at the cards on offer, all the deals seem to be Mastercard based. What happened to Visa?

I have found on a few occasions that Visa is the only card accepted so would like to keep "one of each" in my wallet but it looks like very few banks issue Visa these days?

Why should this be?

Comments

• Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Options
    Dunno.....

I tend to see Master Cards are credit cards....... Visa only ever seem to be Debit Cards now days...... I think Capital One is Visa and so is the Egg Card but not Egg Money which is Matercard.

Iv two Mastercards and an Amex, my Visa card is a debit one.

I often find people dont mind accepting Mastercard, Amex is always a tricky one though.........

I would like to get a Visa Credit card again one day..... Got to wait till iv two cards cancelled and settled though and iv made a few payments on my new Egg Money card.

I do like the flexibility of having Visa, Mastercard and Amex though..... Its nice to have a choice! It fills up the wallet though:rolleyes:
  • Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Options
    By the way Barclaycard is a Visa........ Just seen it lol!
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Co-op cards are all Visa. Most have 0% on purchases for 6m and also on BTs although there is a 2.5% fee. They may match your highest exisiting card limit if you provide details. A number of the cards have affinity deals with charities so a small %age of what you spend goes to them too.

An exception is the Yorkshire Building Society Visa card, operated by Co-op. Max £50 fee on BTs at 0% for 6 months.

I also like the Barclaycard Oyster card...6m 0% on purchase, £25 bonus if U use the card PDQ (offer expires mid Jan if I remember correctly) plus Oyster card & contactless payment card if you live/do business in the Smoke.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    An exception is the Yorkshire Building Society Visa card, operated by Co-op. Max £50 fee on BTs at 0% for 6 months.
    Seems to have changed recently, as reported on the stoozing site.

Sadly, the BT fee now appears to be 2.5% uncapped.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zebedee69 wrote: »
    By the way Barclaycard is a Visa........ Just seen it lol!

There's a Barclaycard Mastercard as well.
    Stompa
  • King_Of_Fools
    Options
    In the UK there is no difference to Visa or Mastercard acceptance. Everywhere that accepts one will accept the other (Amex is a different story).

Outside of the UK it is wise to have a Visa and a Mastercard. If you are using the cards abroad you would want to have a Nationwide Visa and Post Office Mastercard as they do not charge commission on purchases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport