Curtain hems - using iron-on webbing..?

Options
RainbowsInTheSpray
RainbowsInTheSpray Posts: 1,373 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 24 March 2023 at 9:31PM in Crafting
Not really crafting in any sense, but anyway...

I have found a lovely piece of material which I would like to make into curtains but:
1. It is far too long for the window opening and needs trimming
2. I am hopeless with needlework and don't want to pay for a seamstress to do the hems

Can I use this iron-on stuff available from ebay etc to make a reasonable hem? Would it do the job reliably? The ads claim it's good for curtains but I have my doubts.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don’t like it. I found it after a while it goes a bit solid and then the material doesn’t hang particularly well at the bottom. If you can measure the length correctly, hand sewing isn’t particularly hard to do. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you need to wash them then the iron on can come adrift.  I think that to iron the hem very carefully is more important than your actual sewing ability.  In a way the sewing is just confirmation of where the hem needs to be, if it has been ironed properly.  The iron-on is fine but has its limits, like not washing well, but you still need to make sure that your original hem ironing is spot on first.
  • Nelliegrace
    Nelliegrace Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 24 March 2023 at 10:13PM
    Options
    I regretted using it. It came unstuck, left a mess, and I still had curtains to turn up. 

They shrunk a bit, to sew them a bit longer meant the mess was visible at the back of the curtain.

Hand sewing gets better with practise. 
    If it is worth doing, it is worth doing properly.

• RainbowsInTheSpray
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the warnings. Generally looking like a bad thing. I wonder what it is good for...
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,740 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you google on 'how to hem curtains by hand' you'll get masses of useful links, including several YouTube videos, demonstrating the best stitch to use. As others have already mentioned, careful ironing is just as important as the actual stitching. 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,612 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They shrunk a bit
    Why did they shrink?

Shrinkage is something you always have to allow for but unless it's not sanforized the shrinkage should be minimal. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It depends on how often you wash your curtains.
    If it's once a year I'd expect it to be worth doing. You can always peel it off and re do next year.
    You can also get different grades from light to heavy.
    Currently I have a little blind made from some fabric I liked. I was up to my ears in a new home and a garden to make so used double sided tape ;) Supposed to be temporary. Despite being cream it gets little touching or movement and is still fine after 2yrs.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport