Buying a pressure washer

Am interested in a pressure washer on eBay but seller said it has not been used for over 3 yrs and cannot test whether it is still working as he has no outdoor tap or garden, Shall I walk away just in case it does work and I will be out of pocket? Thanks

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Ambassador
    70.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    ahfat41 said:
    Am interested in a pressure washer on eBay but seller said it has not been used for over 3 yrs and cannot test whether it is still working as he has no outdoor tap or garden, Shall I walk away just in case it does work and I will be out of pocket? Thanks
    I'd walk away but I am over cautious and to me 'untested' means probably not working.

It does depend on how it is listed though, if it is listed for parts spares and Not working or no guarantee of working then you would probably struggle with an SNAD and it could go either way depending on the exact wording.

If however it is sold in the main pressure washer category and just with 'untested' then you should be OK with an SNAD if it arrives and doesn't work.
    ’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • edited 18 March at 12:50PM
    BelenusBelenus Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 March at 12:50PM
    ahfat41 said:
    Walk away.

Why does he have a pressure washer that he cannot use as he has no outside tap? Perhaps he moved into that house 3 years ago.

How has it been stored? If it was not emptied of water and has been stored for three winters in an outside shed, its innards may be wrecked if that water froze and expanded.

You do not want the hassle of potentially having to return a bulky item.

There are plenty of other pressure washers available.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Buster_DanogBuster_Danog Forumite
    657 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Belenus said:

You do not want the hassle of potentially having to return a bulky item.

Happened to me with an air conditioner a few years back. Never again. I managed to find a courier to return it, but it was left with the seller's neighbour so I was lucky Paypal refunded.

• cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    4K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Unless it's a local pickup and you can also locally return - I'd not touch it.

If a pressure washer has been left out in freezing conditions, there's a chance it could have internal damage that you won't see on a physical inspection.

Basic pressure washers are not too over the top in price these days.

What budget did you set yourself - and what were you expecting for it?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • mirabelmirabel Forumite
    4 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
     I say walk away too! I damaged my own pressure washer by not draining it properly and leaving it to freeze over Winter in the garage. Not something to chance buying on line, chances are it wont work.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi, another vote for walk away. You will probably end up out of pocket, yes.

Seems a bit strange that the seller had a pressure washer but nowhere to attach it so held onto it for three years or more. . . 

That item really is the sort of thing I'd expect to see on Freegle or Freecycle, not on eBay, for sale. 

But then again, when I first started buying from eBay, people were buying all kinds of things, including (to my amazement) empty perfume bottles. I thought I'd give it a bash but my two Chanel No. 5 bottles never sold. I did feel guilty that I was attempting to rip people off, even though they were only £1 each plus postage. Looking back I'm glad that they didn't sell.

There was the time that someone sold a slice of toast with Jesus' face on it, though, wasn't there? Or did I just dream that?
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Buster_DanogBuster_Danog Forumite
    657 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MalMonroe said:
    There was the time that someone sold a slice of toast with Jesus' face on it, though, wasn't there? Or did I just dream that?
    When you have a dream like that you have been blessed by the Holy Toast.