Help understanding old pension plan

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pot B will be a V1.  Pot A may be a V2.  Does the policy number start with a 9 or a 5?     You don't see many unit linked Pearl plans.  The vast majority were with profits.

In the current statements from Phoenix it's called Prosperity Pension Plan Unit-Linked, which is made up of Former Protected Rights (the whole of this pot). 
    100% former protected rights means it was contracted out funds only.  No contributions made.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Consumer3
    Consumer3 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    @dunstonh Both plans start with 805
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 March 2023 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Pot B, start date April 1993, then missing paperwork until a 1996 statement calling it Prosperity Pension Plan (Protected Rights). 

https://www.drewberryinsurance.co.uk/pensions-advice/faqs/what-are-protected-rights-pensions

This is now just a DC pension. There would seem to be no reason why it should not be transferred out to a modern plan.

When he checks his State Pension Forecast a COPE is shown?

Pot A, start date Jan 1994 called Pearl Pensions Mixed Fund, this is the plan he is still contributing to. The contribution, monthly policy fee and capital unit obligation increasing each year in line with NAE (Index of National Earnings).

This?

https://www.trustnet.com/factsheets/P/pl17/pearl-mixed-unit-linked-pn/

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Consumer3 said:
    The ones that start with 8 are rare beasts.   I have only seen them with their FSAVCs previously.   Pearl only used the unit linked fund option for limited periods as it was traditionally a with profits company.  
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Consumer3
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    Consumer3 said:
    The ones that start with 8 are rare beasts.   I have only seen them with their FSAVCs previously.   Pearl only used the unit linked fund option for limited periods as it was traditionally a with profits company.  
    Hmm, I wonder why that was. Either way there doesn’t seem to be any reason to keep the two Pearl/Phoenix ones, no rights to be protected, but at least we’ve gained an understanding of it! 

Yes there’s definitely a COPE amount showing on his state pension, along with the message that he cannot pay in any more to improve it. Will double check though. 
  • xylophone
    edited 22 March 2023 at 12:22PM
    Options
    Hmm, I wonder why that was. Either way there doesn’t seem to be any reason to keep the two Pearl/Phoenix ones, no rights to be protected, but at least we’ve gained an understanding of it! 

It would be interesting to know what he decides to do about his pension.

Yes there’s definitely a COPE amount showing on his state pension, along with the message that he cannot pay in any more to improve it. Will double check though. 

COPE is to be expected as he was contracted out for a period.

It was used once only in the calculation of his "starting amount" for NSP.

When he looks at his forecast, what is shown as the amount accrued up to 5/4/22?
  • Consumer3
    Options
    @xylophone
    So it actually says he has one more year to contribute then he will get full State Pension. £185.15 is the most he can get. COPE estimate £20.05 a week.  
    I’m sure the original forecast a couple of years ago said he couldn’t increase the amount but I must have been mistaken. 

• Consumer3
    Options
    Thought it best to add to this thread for background.

After not getting far with phone staff at Phoenix Life we tried the secure message route to gain some understanding. They have replied with a letter through the post and we don't fully understand the answer.  Hopefully someone could shed some light please?  The letter they sent doesn't appear online and you are not able to 'reply' to the initial query.  

We asked why there was an exit charge on one of the two policies (one is marked as 'paid up'), the other he is still making contributions to. We also asked if they can explain the charges fully. 

Reply from PL:

"We confirm no penalties or exit charges will be applied on transfer.

The annual management charge applied to this plan is 4% on capital units, and 1% on accumulation units.

Initial regular premium allocation rate and type of unit allocated - For Ordinary Rights policies, 102% of all regular contributions received will be used to purchase units. During the first two years an amount equal to twice the annual contribution at commencement must purchase capital units. From then on capital units are only purchased to cover each increase in the level of regular contributions.

Subsequent regular premium allocation rate and type of unit allocated - When the capital unit obligation has been satisfied contributions will be used to purchase accumulation units. However, any obligation to purchase capital units must be met before accumulation units are purchased.

Allocation rules on single premiums - 100% of single contributions received will be used to purchase units. No capital unit obligation arises in respect of single contributions.

Allocation rules on other types of contributions - For former Protected Rights policies, 99% of the contributions received will be used to purchase units."

We don't understand their use of percentages!  Plus an early exit charge is still showing online for the main policy.

• xylophone
    Options
  • Consumer3
    edited 24 April at 4:56PM
    Options
    @xylophone
    Yes exactly this: 'Your relative appears to have one  ex  Pearl single premium policy (paid up?) and one to which he is still contributing (the main policy)?' Together around £120k
    Plus the tiny SW one. £5k

No a sole trader rather than his own company.
    Yes the link from @Marcon was useful thanks.

Thanks for sharing the Countrywide doc, I've looked at Page 35 but I'm still none the wiser on how the percentages work, I will go through the old Pearl docs again but I don't remember seeing anything about this. 

We will definitely try another message to PL to ask why the charge still shows online, he definitely wants to transfer all pots to something modern.  

PL responded by post but they don't upload it online. So we have to do a completely new secure message with the original questions and their letter added as a file, very long winded way to get answers from them!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback