Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

One for the GiftAid experts

Options
Hi,

I am a charity trustee and we have looked at GiftAid in the past but we fail the 'benefit test' as we offer benefits in return for membership subscription.

My question is how do the Scout Association get around this?  The scout's 'subs' covers insurance and membership, upkeep etc and in return they can attend meetings and benefit from this 'subscription'.  

Now I have absolutely nothing against Scouts claiming GiftAid at all, but it should be equitable for all organisations so what exception do they rely on, as I've read the GiftAid legislation again and again and I cannot understand how they are eligible to claim GiftAid on these payments.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not just Scouts, National Trust and similar visitor attractions manage it too and I have no idea how.

Have you thought of phoning Scout HQ and asking? Or HMRC Gift Aid helpline?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • PragmaticMoneySaver
    Options
    National Trust and Zoos etc work by giving visitors who pay a donation of 10% more than the gate price to 'view the charity's property' then the whole admission charge is available for GiftAid - however a member of the public must be able to receive the same benefit if not giving a donation.

The other method is where entry provides an annual right to visit the charity's property, I don't see how this applies to Scouts though as their 'property' is not the charitable cause so to speak.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback