Ex-BULB customers who've migrated to Octopus - meter readings?

Options
howryoo
howryoo Posts: 220 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Anyone here who was with Bulb and now moved over to Octopus with the old 'dumb' traditional meters?

It used to be the case with Bulb that you could submit meter readings within 3 days of them collecting your scheduled direct debit payment and they'd bill you for your exact usage for that period.

However, having recently received a reminder from Octopus that they would be collecting the DD payment soon, there's no mention of submitting actual meter readings to use for billing.

Does anyone know when I should submit (for accurate billing) if my DD's scheduled for 17th?


Comments

  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I'm in that situation and am just submitting readings three days ahead, as before. I can't yet work out what Octopus are doing with them.

    I also use their 'wheel of fortune' thing though I've no idea if it ever pays out.
  • grumpyoldwoman
    Options
    You can submit meter readings whenever you like and will get a statement when you do, they will only remind you if you haven't submitted one for a few months. I submitted my first readings a week ago and got the statement a couple of days later.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,327 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you want to pay for you exact usage each month you need to make sure you're set up for variable DD. It may be that your account has been set up as fixed DD.  

    If it's variable there should be the message "You are paying a variable amount depending on your usage" in the My Account section of the website. 
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    I also use their 'wheel of fortune' thing though I've no idea if it ever pays out.
    I won £1 a couple of months ago.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • howryoo
    howryoo Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    I'm in that situation and am just submitting readings three days ahead, as before. I can't yet work out what Octopus are doing with them.

    I also use their 'wheel of fortune' thing though I've no idea if it ever pays out.

    Interesting.  So what is your invoice based on?  Their estimated readings?


  • howryoo
    howryoo Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Alnat1 said:
    If you want to pay for you exact usage each month you need to make sure you're set up for variable DD. It may be that your account has been set up as fixed DD.  

    If it's variable there should be the message "You are paying a variable amount depending on your usage" in the My Account section of the website. 

    Strange - I can't seem to see that option under my account.  I suspect it's fixed DD, but would like to continue as I have under Bulb - being billed for exact usage and readings taken around the same time / monthly cycle.


  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    howryoo said:

    Interesting.  So what is your invoice based on?  Their estimated readings?


    I've only had one, and hadn't checked. So I just did

    The bill is based on the customer reading 3rd March against the one I gave to Bulb on 3rd Feb

    It says the account is for 6 Feb to 2nd March and is dated 3rd March

    So I guess I just have to remember to give them a reading on 3rd of the month


  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,327 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    howryoo said:

    Strange - I can't seem to see that option under my account.  I suspect it's fixed DD, but would like to continue as I have under Bulb - being billed for exact usage and readings taken around the same time / monthly cycle.


    Log in to your account on the website, not app. Go to change my payments and you should clearly be able to see if you are paying a fixed amount each month or it will say you pay a variable amount depending on your usage. It's not possible to change to variable DD online but give them a ring or Twitter message and they'll sort it quickly.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards