Choose a charity

13»

Comments

• Pilot175 wrote:
    Why are the majority of the charities foreign based?

Actually of the original shortlist of 15 the criteria was "Roughly two thirds of the selection should be UK based charities and one third overseas/international."

If 'foreign based' charities are now in the majority then that is because those are the ones people have voted for! (I think all the charities are actually UK based and registered, but I assume you mean the ones where the money goes to help those in need abroad).
    Pilot175 wrote:
    We now have yet more of a drain (after the tsunami appeal) due to Live 8.

Not sure what you mean by that - people in the UK gave very generously to the Tsunami appeal because it was a disaster on an almost unprecedented scale and they wanted to help. As for Live 8, the concerts are to raise awareness of extreme poverty [not to raise money] and the fact that every single day, 30,000 children are dying as a result of extreme poverty.

Yes, of course there are problems in the UK but it's a question of degrees of poverty - there are not 30,000 children dying in the UK each day of starvation and preventable diseases. If there were you can bet it would be solved instantly. Those 30,000 deaths are preventable: Live 8 and Make Poverty History are about putting pressure on the leaders of the world's wealthiest nations to do something about it.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Pat__3
    Pat__3 Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    I had to vote for the homeless as I think this is a worthy cause to help these people get a roof over their heads and somewhere to call home and hopefully be safe.icon7.gif

I did have to think hard about the Samaritans also as they are are very worthy cause too, and these people that man these phone lines do a marvellous job, it must be very upsetting work for them. I wish them all the best and thank you for all the people they help.icon7.gif
  • Many thanks to everyone that voted.

Previous Poll Topic: Choose a charity. Please vote for which charity you would like this site's fund (£40k last year) to support. The top five will be chosen and money distributed in the proportion of the vote. The charities were nominated by site users, then shortlisted to 14 by a panel of regulars, and then after the first few days of voting whittled down to the main contenders (hence why the no. votes is bigger than the votes for each charity).

SAMARITANS. Confidential emotional support to the suicidal or despairing 19.3% - (1101 Votes)

RE-CYCLE. Fixes & sends old bikes to Africa, to provide transport to schools etc (Martin's personal nomination) 16.1% - (920 Votes)

WATERAID. Safe water, sanitation and hygiene education to the world's poorest 14.5% - (830 Votes)

CHRISTIANS AGAINST POVERTY. Debt counselling, advice and practical help 13% - (743 Votes)

SEND A COW. Sustainable help for those struggling against poverty in Africa. 10% - (574 Votes)

NATIONAL RENT DEPOSIT FORUM. Provides deposits for homeless people to get homes 7.4% - (424 Votes)

NATIONAL DEBTLINE. A helpline for people with debt problems 7.1% - (409 Votes)

Total Votes: 5703
  • Davem_3
    Davem_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    So:

When will we find out how much the fund is and when will the charities in question receive their money?

Once again - just curious!

DaveM
  • I would like to say that there is too much money going to charities who send OUR money abroad, I do not agree with this, especially when the charity boats are met at the docks by mafia types demanding money to let the age off the ship, as happened in Bangladesh and Adis Ababa in Ethiopa. Let the despots who run the country put their hands in their pockets!!
    MSE_Archna wrote:
    Many thanks to everyone that voted.

Previous Poll Topic: Choose a charity. Please vote for which charity you would like this site's fund (£40k last year) to support. The top five will be chosen and money distributed in the proportion of the vote. The charities were nominated by site users, then shortlisted to 14 by a panel of regulars, and then after the first few days of voting whittled down to the main contenders (hence why the no. votes is bigger than the votes for each charity).

SAMARITANS. Confidential emotional support to the suicidal or despairing 19.3% - (1101 Votes)

RE-CYCLE. Fixes & sends old bikes to Africa, to provide transport to schools etc (Martin's personal nomination) 16.1% - (920 Votes)

WATERAID. Safe water, sanitation and hygiene education to the world's poorest 14.5% - (830 Votes)

CHRISTIANS AGAINST POVERTY. Debt counselling, advice and practical help 13% - (743 Votes)

SEND A COW. Sustainable help for those struggling against poverty in Africa. 10% - (574 Votes)

NATIONAL RENT DEPOSIT FORUM. Provides deposits for homeless people to get homes 7.4% - (424 Votes)

NATIONAL DEBTLINE. A helpline for people with debt problems 7.1% - (409 Votes)

Total Votes: 5703
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport