jury duty

Options
Has anyone else had this problem I was call for jury duty I got the letter in January this year for this week, I work night shift so I notified my boos in January that I would need time off and he needed cover. I wasn't selected  for duty on Monday but was informed that I needed to be available for the next few days. Now I had a text from my boos asking why I needed to have Sunday night off into the Monday I try to explain I was on jury duty on the Monday however he just could get the fact also he is saying that I need to attend work tonight and tomorrow if not selected, which I have done the last time I was on Jury duty 4 years ago, I did have this problem from my old boos Pleas help

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    What would you normally be doing at the time you might be on jury duty?

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

Probably sleeping given the OP works nights. 
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    marcia_ said:

Probably sleeping given the OP works nights. 
    Exactly that when I did nights in my first job.

Thanks
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone else had this problem I was call for jury duty I got the letter in January this year for this week, I work night shift so I notified my boos in January that I would need time off and he needed cover. I wasn't selected  for duty on Monday but was informed that I needed to be available for the next few days. Now I had a text from my boos asking why I needed to have Sunday night off into the Monday I try to explain I was on jury duty on the Monday however he just could get the fact also he is saying that I need to attend work tonight and tomorrow if not selected, which I have done the last time I was on Jury duty 4 years ago, I did have this problem from my old boos Pleas help
    It seems reasonable and obvious to me that you could not do a night shift on Sunday as you needed to be in a fit state to perform your civic duty on Monday.  It requires you to be alert and attentive, not half asleep.

Whether or not you are called on the Monday is immaterial - you had to be ready and prepared to serve.  You had to attend the court and wait around until such time as the decision was confirmed whether you were required on any cases that day or not.

Having not been called on the Monday, you still could not work the Monday night.  Partly because you need to be prepared for Tuesday.  Partly because, having been awake through Monday, you would not have been in a properly rested state to work a night shift - particularly if the night shift is work of a nature where being unduly tired would create health and safety risks.

Those considerations would cascade through every following day of your week or fortnight of jury service.

Is there a possibility of you working a day-shift while you are on jury service, but in a flexible manner?  It may not be possible as it could get complicated - you would have to attend the court, wait until you are confirmed as required or not required and then travel to work and do whatever remains of the day-shift.  At least this type of suggestion might show that you are endeavouring to be cooperative and find a solution.

I have assumed with my comments above that the shifts are proper full-day or full-night shifts.  Not a night-shift being, say 4 pm to 12 pm where something more flexible might be possible to accommodate.

I hope my thoughts help.  I am not sure how to raise them or get them addressed satisfactorily.  Other contributors may be able to suggest communication approaches if the ideas are sensible for you.

Is there a Union Rep that you can speak with?

Do the comments from your boss reflect the company values, or would a more senior manager take a different view?  I know it is not ideal, but escalation may be required if the immediate boss continues in this vein.

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask the court for advice.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A bit late here. I have done jury Service twice ( a decade between). The Clerk of the Court told me that any employer that puts obstructions in for deemed Jurors will get a police car to pick them up. It takes them to court to charge them with contempt. Truth. 
  • bigkiltman50
    Options
    Thank you for all your help guys, yes my night shift starts at 9.30pm and ends at 8.05am I have been on to my union and they laughed and did say my boss has no idea, I phoned the court and I was informed that if my boss still has a problem he was to phone the court himself. Now an update I am now sitting on a jury  I have informed my boss that I would not be in for my shift Monday night, he text me back now saying that I should have given him my form and he would have written and got me off sitting on the jury. Now it appears to be all my fault however I did inform him when I knew 31st of January of this year, He now wants to know if I was in court or just sitting around aat home the days I had off 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for all your help guys, yes my night shift starts at 9.30pm and ends at 8.05am I have been on to my union and they laughed and did say my boss has no idea, I phoned the court and I was informed that if my boss still has a problem he was to phone the court himself. Now an update I am now sitting on a jury  I have informed my boss that I would not be in for my shift Monday night, he text me back now saying that I should have given him my form and he would have written and got me off sitting on the jury. Now it appears to be all my fault however I did inform him when I knew 31st of January of this year, He now wants to know if I was in court or just sitting around aat home the days I had off 
    AIUI, you are required to attend the court every day when you are on jury service and may spend a lot of time sitting around at the court, but that is not sitting around at home.  If you are not required and they dismiss you for the day, you have still been at the court for a good chunk of time.
    You have not enjoyed a skive during this time.
    If that is true, simply reply back to say "I have attended the court every day"

Ignoring the work challenge, I hope you find being a juror interesting and rewarding activity.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a boss like the above. A fool he was. He tried to call the court as my job was “important “. 🤣 I was a butcher,not a heart surgeon, so hardly important! I am glad that you are unionised,any problem,tell them. 
  • bigkiltman50
    Options
    Hi guys just another update since Covid they don't want you sitting in the court you have to sit at home phone in hand over the day have revived 3/4 phone calls form court. Also I am now lead to believe that at the end of my jury duty and get a form filled in which I give to my boss to give to HR so that they can reclaim my wages . My the way guys work in Social care here, just makes you think ??  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback