Rising electricity

Options
Just had my electric bill come through 
Don't  know if this is right,  charging me 63.93p/kwh, for electric
On checking  online that for the area  i live in the south west  it should  be 34.04p/kwh, I know it is rising in April,any body else checked there kwh?

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 March 2023 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

Look right through your bill - you will find a note somewhere of the EPG (Energy Price Guarantee) discount being applied bringing the unit rate down to in the region of 34p/kWh.  The 63p is the original unit rate prior to the discount. (Ie - what you would have been paying had the EPG not been introduced). Where the mention appears on the bill depends on the supplier. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there a discount applied elsewhere on the bill to bring the electricity cost down to the Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) level?
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    do your own calculation,
    units used x 63.93p,
    + number of days x standing charge,
    + 5% vat,
    how does that compare to the bill?
  • Shazza67
    Options
    Thank you
    I see the epg  and it has been discounted  on the bill thanks for  the replies 
  • ginfreak
    ginfreak Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Had to have electric meter changed in February due to a fault.  We are on a Fixed Rate of 18p per unit (I know really low but fixed nearly 2 years ago) until June 2024.  EDF have now said the rate will be increased from 1 January 2023 and will not honour the Fixed Rate Contract.  Surely they cannot do this?  
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    ginfreak said:
    Had to have electric meter changed in February due to a fault.  We are on a Fixed Rate of 18p per unit (I know really low but fixed nearly 2 years ago) until June 2024.  EDF have now said the rate will be increased from 1 January 2023 and will not honour the Fixed Rate Contract.  Surely they cannot do this?  
    Have you got a copy of your contract/email/ on the EDF site etc?

Just raise a complaint with them as changing a meter should not invalidate a fix.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    ginfreak said:
    At least one supplier did have a sort of "flexible fix" where they incorporated the ability to pull it early into the T's and C's - are you absolutely certain yours wasn't one of these? If you can confirm the full name of the tariff you are on then someone here will likely be able to check. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not a flexible tariff, but EDF has the right to cancel a fixed tariff build into their T&C.

I have not heard about them doing it, but they have the right to cancel a fixed tariff without needing a reason, and they were not the only ones.

Above snippet is from the T&C they are using at least since February 2022.

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r1246.pdf

But @ginfreak did not mention anything about the contract being cancelled?

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    I took "will not honour" to mean that EDF were switching them to the SVR - so in essence cancelling, but that is purely my reading of their words and could be incorrect. 
    she/her
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 March 2023 at 2:01PM
    Options
    The way I read it, they cannot just put them onto SVT but would need to explicit;y cancel the fixed tariff first.

I seriously doubt that they have done this, or will be doing it. Also they changed the T&C in the beginning of 2022, and their fixed tariff would need to be an older three year contract to work out to 18p.

I have the February 2024 fixed tariff, and I was aware of the clause that they could cancel, but I doubt that they could afford the negative impact reaally doing so, and it would be also very surprising and not even valid if they can exit the contract for free, but the customer has to pay an exit fee.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback