Just want a 2nd opinion (Electric Bill)

Bang_Bang
Bang_Bang Posts: 23
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Just wanted someone to look over this quickly, As called edf and they cant open my account as its a complex meter or something.

So last bill i was in Debit £832.27

Paid £3012 got Refund £333

Charges were £3360.65

So why am I £1513.92 in debit

I worked it out as i should only be £847.92 in debit 

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,436
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You have paid them £3,012, but then they've refunded you £333 (presumably to your bank account), so the net payment is only £2,679.  Bill of £3,360 + outstanding balance of £832.27 = £4,192.27.  Take off the £2,679 and you owe £1,513.27.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • What you have posted is only 50% of the story. We need to see the charges page to see if the EBSS has been applied.
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 452
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2023 at 8:52AM
    I do a lot of work around customer accounts/billing in my day job, easiest way I find to look at it is like this: debits are positive numbers, credits are negatives. A refund would be a positive on your energy account because they have to take that money off (debit) your balance in order for it to be credited to your bank account.

With this in mind, the calculations you want would look something like this:

Starting balance £832.27 (account in debt)

Payments you’ve made 832.27 - 3012 =  −£2179.73 (account in credit)

Refunds −2179.73 + 333 = −£1846.73 (account in credit, but the credit amount has decreased as some of that credit has been transferred to your bank)

Energy charges -1846.73 + 3360.65 = £ 1513.92 (account in debit)

Of course you can do these calculations in a different order and arrive at the same result, the key is making sure you’re adding/subtracting the correct values.
    Moo…
  • I do a lot of work around customer accounts/billing in my day job, easiest way I find to look at it is like this: debits are positive numbers, credits are negatives. A refund would be a positive on your energy account because they have to take that money off (debit) your balance in order for it to be credited to your bank account.

With this in mind, the calculations you want would look something like this:

Starting balance £832.27 (account in debt)

Payments you’ve made 832.27 - 3012 =  −£2179.73 (account in credit)

Refunds −2179.73 + 333 = −£1846.73 (account in credit, but the credit amount has decreased as some of that credit has been transferred to your bank)

Energy charges -1846.73 + 3360.65 = £ 1513.92 (account in debit)

Of course you can do these calculations in a different order and arrive at the same result, the key is making sure you’re adding/subtracting the correct values.
    I thought that, but I think that we need to see how the EBSS payment of £333 has been applied. Looking at what has been posted it suggests that £333 has been refunded from the account credit balance so where is the balancing £333 from the Government? 
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2023 at 8:41PM
    Hi,
    What you have posted is only 50% of the story. We need to see the charges page to see if the EBSS has been applied.
    the £333 refund = 2 x £66 + 3 x £67 monthly refunds.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Hi,
    What you have posted is only 50% of the story. We need to see the charges page to see if the EBSS has been applied.
    I get that, but if you look at the screenshot that has been posted there is no balancing credit of £333. That is, the refund appears to have come out of the consumer’s energy account. I suspect that the EBSS credit has been applied in the charges section of the statement. 

If that isn’t the case, then the EBSS the screenshot should show a credit of £333 and a debit of £333.
  • PeterGr
    PeterGr Posts: 262
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There have been numerous posts explaining how EDF are setting out their bills to include the EBSS.  The £333 pf EBSS will be shown as a credit in the details of charges for this period.  So the total of energy charges is in fact £3693.65.
  • Bang_Bang
    Forumite
    Hi,
    This is correct but that money has not gone back in to my personal account i thought that should of been deducted from the bill.

so my payments made would be 

3012+333 

• Bang_Bang
    Forumite
    Nope nope sorry all the 67 did go into another bank account makes sense now, apologies just sometimes need some extra eyes on these things 
  • I have had the same problem understanding the EBSS payment still don’t but so many people have explained it and even EDF have said it done in a bad way for the customers to understand and should have been done differently as it did end up putting people in debit I am still annoyed about it why give it you and take back
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback