Expectations

in Consumer rights
7 replies 233 views
ChucksmumChucksmum Forumite
63 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Please can anyone tell me what I should expect now? I bought a kitchen tap in 2017 for £277 with 1 year guarantee , in 2019 it started leaking, supplier could not repair it so fitted a new tap charging £70 for fitting. In 2021 it started leaking again, they said it was caused by water pressure so fitted another tap and a pressure regulator charging me £90. It is 19 months later and the tap is dripping again. I rang them two weeks ago , they will not give me an answer. Am I expecting too much from a tap that has cost me £440 and only given me 6 years service? Please advise.

Replies

• born_againborn_again Forumite
    10K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Might just be cheaper to replace the washer or unit if it's a ceramic washer.
    Life in the slow lane
  • ChucksmumChucksmum Forumite
    63 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If it could be repaired, I'm sure the company would have done it 6 years ago.
    Might just be cheaper to replace the washer or unit if it's a ceramic washer.

• lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Taps are not built to last, cartridges frequently fail after 2 years. Better to fit an inexpensive tap and replace every 2/3 years.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    10K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Could be they sensed a sale, rather than a repair?
    Life in the slow lane
  • HillStreetBluesHillStreetBlues Forumite
    966 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Taps are not built to last, cartridges frequently fail after 2 years. Better to fit an inexpensive tap and replace every 2/3 years.
    Not sure what taps you use!
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • edited 7 March at 5:13PM
    apw81apw81 Forumite
    39 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 7 March at 5:13PM
    That’s an expensive tap. Expensive tap means expensive fix. Ford Fiesta vs. Porsche stuff. Does/did the tap do anything worthwhile that a reasonably priced tap cannot do?

Usual stuff, the more a tap can do, the more frustrating they tend to be, require more maintenance. I would just replace the tap with something sensible and move on. As for consumer rights and product life expectancy, I think, by now, you’re on your own. For the price you paid for that tap, if price was a measure of quality, I would have expected a 5 year minimum warranty, at least. Since it only came with one year suggests the manufacturer knows it’s not built to last.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not sure what taps you use!
    I've had both Franke (2) and Britax, plus at least one other brand (can't remember which). After about 2 years usage pf each tap, one or both cartridges have failed. I also have noticed that one of the brands used to give a 5 yr guarantee against failure, but no longer do so. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales