We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Etiquette for EV hospitality

Options

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Next time you speak to them. Just throw in "I thought EV's were cheap to run. That cost me £11 for your charge the other day" 🤣
    I do think this is the best idea.  His reaction is then up to him - you haven't soured the friendship/acquaintanceship by asking, but if he's reasonable it'll nudge him to pay you back in some way.  If he's not, well then you know but still without souring things.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 2,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 March 2023 at 4:21AM
    Options
    I have a 7kW EV charger but no EV. I pay a standard electricity tariff (EPG rate of 33.73p/kWh).

A friend who is much wealthier than me came to visit yesterday. He was 2 hours late for the lunch we had prepared because his shiny new Nissan Leaf hadn't charged properly overnight and he had to queue at a service station to get enough charge to make the 60-mile journey to see us.

He asked to charge his Leaf at our house and I was glad to help. (The charge point was provided by the house-builder and has never been used to charge a car before). When he left, he was pleased that his car was fully charged and off he went. He didn't offer to pay for the electricity he used and I was too embarrassed to ask.

This morning I looked at the electricity meter and saw that his Leaf took 33kWh of charge, which is more than we use in a whole week of normal use - it cost me over £11.

My guess is that that because he doesn't have to worry about fuel and energy costs, it didn't occur to him that this is a bit of a dent in our budget.

Perhaps we're too early in the EV era for the etiquette of charging hospitality to be established. What would you have done if you were me?

Depending on the speed of charge he used at the service station - he is probably used to paying that sort of rate - or upto near double for a very high speed charge (not sure the Leafs use those though - the old ones didn't) - outside the home.
    The problem is he probably on an EV tariff - or another tariff - with a cheap night rate - at home - so paying say a third of your rates.  So probably would have cost him c£3.
    So just like you probably provided him with tea, drinks and food - for free - which to his mind was probably even more expensive than charging the car if he even thought about costs at all - he probably really didn't think about it.
    But if it happens again - explain the problem - and see if he is willing to contribute.
    There were families charging each other for Xmas dinner - as things were getting tight.  I see this as just part of the modern dynamic facing many of the less well off.
    And - to offset any emberassment - in past pre EV - would he have asked or expected you to pay for petrol or diesel before ?

• markin
    markin Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If he didn't give the cost a second thought he possibly isn't on a EV tarrif and is just one that never looks at the bills, It seems rather common on threads that the EV is the last thing they mention and then they still don't want to bother looking for a EV tariff and just think/say its not a concern.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,440 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a parallel, where the argument has moved the opposite way in recent years. (not saying it is right for electric, clearly he should have offered to pay).

If you meet someone for a meal or drink you all pay your own travel costs to the venue and that includes parking. If I invite someone to my house for a meal and I live in a controlled parking zone, I have to supply visitor parking permits to my friends and this means that I have paid for their parking. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • InvertedVee
    InvertedVee Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    silvercar said:

If you meet someone for a meal or drink you all pay your own travel costs to the venue and that includes parking. If I invite someone to my house for a meal and I live in a controlled parking zone, I have to supply visitor parking permits to my friends and this means that I have paid for their parking. 
    I guess the difference is your guests don't drive away with a bundle of parking permits to use on their other journeys  :smile:
    3 bed det. built 2021. 2 occupants at home all day. Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i combi boiler heating to 19-20C from 6am to midnight, setback to 17.5C overnight, connected in EMS mode to Tado smart modulating thermostat. Annual gas usage 6000kWh; electricity 2000kWh.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Once bitten ,twice shy" comes to mind. 
  • Andrewlee1
    Options
    Now you know why they are 'wealthy.' It's a mindset and these actions reveal it well. I think you deserve better friends.
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 March 2023 at 12:48PM
    Options
    markin said:
    Why has he got a 40kwh leaf an not a Tesla, Golf GTI, ect, So not that wealthy!

Maybe new owners are more used to getting free charging everywhere, He could mean he stopped at a supermarket for a free top-up.

Most EV owners offer to pay even with a granny plug, in the past anyway.

born_again said:
    Next time you speak to them. Just throw in "I thought EV's were cheap to run. That cost me £11 for your charge the other day" 🤣

That is cheap, A tank would be around £80?
    Depends on the car.

My car is around £40 for a full tank at todays prices.
  • 2PLUS1
    2PLUS1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wish my Electric was less than £11 per week. :-)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback