Booking trip myself

Planning a big trip across a few counties with several flights.  Looked at a package holiday for everything but wasn't really happy with the options offered so decided to do it ourselves.  
We have travel insurance.
I'm not worried about any middle elements of our trip getting delayed/cancelled as we can rebook/tweak things as we go.  However we have to get connecting flights out and returning (but not booked on one ticket as the airline didn't do the whole trip).  I wondered if the first part of the trip is delayed (therefore causing us to miss the second part) does the first airline have any responsibility in regards to the missed connection, or are they just responsible to get us to the first destination as soon as they can?

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sarah69696pink said: I wondered if the first part of the trip is delayed (therefore causing us to miss the second part) does the first airline have any responsibility in regards to the missed connection, or are they just responsible to get us to the first destination as soon as they can?
    The responsibility of the first airline is purely to get you to your first destination. It may be possible to insure against this risk, but your best protection is to leave lots of time for your connection -- perhaps even spend a night at the first destination point.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 March 2023 at 5:39PM
    No responsibility if not on one ticket.  I would leave enough time between your two flights so that delays won’t cause any further delays ie spend a night at the destination before second flight.  
    You say the airline won’t do the whole trip but many airlines are part the same alliance and do complete flight packages even though you are using different airlines.  
    Also, book direct with airlines, no third party.
  • thanks all I suspected that was the case, but wanted to double check,  I have left plenty of time (including a night going the one way) but was worried that even that may not be enough with language barriers etc if the worse were to happen....I've contacted my insurance to check if I am covered for this, otherwise will have to look to change insurers.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    thanks all I suspected that was the case, but wanted to double check,  I have left plenty of time (including a night going the one way) but was worried that even that may not be enough with language barriers etc if the worse were to happen....I've contacted my insurance to check if I am covered for this, otherwise will have to look to change insurers.
    Where are you looking at going?

In most countries if you speak English then you won't have a problem. In others (speaking about Europe) Russian, Polish or the smattering of most local languages I've picked up over the years is more useful.

If you do have a language barrier, you can even use Google Translate, which while not perfect can work sometimes.

Most insurers will cover a 'missed international departure'. If you book through the airline directly you should be able to self-select a new date that suits you, even on a one way booking. The only issue I've had with this was Ryanair where OH needed to swap work with a colleague following a cancellation and they were difficult about moving the dates to the ones we needed (her work schedule is typically 6/2/6/8 so there's a lot of flexibility in that). Once they'd been reminded via live chat of the 'at the passengers convenience' part of the legislation, this was fine also.
    💙💛 💔
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you book through the airline directly you should be able to self-select a new date that suits you, even on a one way booking. The only issue I've had with this was Ryanair where OH needed to swap work with a colleague following a cancellation and they were difficult about moving the dates to the ones we needed (her work schedule is typically 6/2/6/8 so there's a lot of flexibility in that). Once they'd been reminded via live chat of the 'at the passengers convenience' part of the legislation, this was fine also.
    Could you explain this?

So if the OP's first flight is disrupted so that s/he misses the departure of the second flight, are you saying that the second airline is obliged to agree to a date change? 
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    If you book through the airline directly you should be able to self-select a new date that suits you, even on a one way booking. The only issue I've had with this was Ryanair where OH needed to swap work with a colleague following a cancellation and they were difficult about moving the dates to the ones we needed (her work schedule is typically 6/2/6/8 so there's a lot of flexibility in that). Once they'd been reminded via live chat of the 'at the passengers convenience' part of the legislation, this was fine also.
    Could you explain this?

So if the OP's first flight is disrupted so that s/he misses the departure of the second flight, are you saying that the second airline is obliged to agree to a date change? 
    No, I'm referring to my insurance coverage.

The Ryanair flights in question were on the same booking, the inbound was cancelled so we needed to move the Sunday outbound to the Tuesday if I recall with the inbound the following Tuesday. (Tuesday-Tuesday instead of Sunday-Sunday)

I will dig out the insurance document in the morning but it should be available online as a standard HSBC Premier insurance policy (which itself is a standard Aviva one). Nationwide offer a policy with similar wording that is open to all.

In no way have I suggested that one airline is obliged to the decisions of another.

If a flight is cancelled, under EU (and UK) law that journey can be continued at the convenience of the passenger if applicable to the booking. This is why I asked where the OP is going.
    💙💛 💔
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure