Prolific - Paying Income Tax

Is all income from Prolific treated as taxable (over your PA) or can the first £1000 be disregarded as it would be counted as a hobbie? I'm referring to this article but I question it as I dont think its correct, thanks


  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,841
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 March 2023 at 12:06AM
    From this site (MSE)

    Before you start counting the dosh, don't forget to check if some may belong to the taxman

    For most people this won't be the case, especially if you're just doing it as a bit of extra cash. But get serious with it, or already have income from self-employment, and you might need to pay tax.

    The trading allowance means you don't have to report the first £1,000 you earn from self-employment or selling goods/services 'for profit'. However if you earn more than a grand from the tricks in this guide, or have income over £1,000 from this and other self-employment, you'll need to declare it to HMRC, regardless of whether you're self-employed or PAYE.
  • Julezy101
    Julezy101 Posts: 33
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you mjm3346 :-)
  • caileag
    caileag Posts: 104
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what happens if you earn more than £1000? Does it all become taxable, or just the amount over £1000?
    Free is my favourite price!
  • DaveQ
    DaveQ Posts: 24
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just the amount over £1000 will be taxable
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards