IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal/ZZPS

Options
Hi,

I received a parking fine for not displaying a permit back in December 2017. Unfortunately, I wrongly assumed this was a 'disabled permit' and not displaying a normal parking ticket as I was coincidentally parked in a disabled bay (although I arrived in darkness and the markings were completely worn). After ignoring the original fine I received a letter from ZZPS and then heard nothing for around a year when out of the blue BW Legal seemed to had been passed the debt. I wasn't informed that they had, they just started sending me letters one day. 

I have a court date on the 20th of March and the fee being asked is now around £300. I am an idiot for not just paying it when I received it and putting it off and also not really providing any sort of defence for myself. Is there any chance the judge will see the costs as being a bit over the top off their own back or am I supposed to have disputed the 'legal fee/administration fees' beforehand? 

I have pretty much accepted in myself that this whole situation is my fault and haven't done anything about it. 

I just wanted to know if people had any thoughts or words of wisdom on this?

Thank you.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you file any sort of defence and have you been told on your Notice of Allocation, the deadline for submitting witness statement?
  • arw93
    arw93 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My defence was that I thought it was a disabled permit they were asking for and not just a normal one. The deadline for a witness statement is the 6th but obviously I'd need to post it I think so probably today is the last day.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 March 2023 at 10:38PM
    Options
    It is not a fine and nobody hear would ever tell you to pay a PCN.

Which PPC is hounding you?

You don't post the WS, you email it to the court you selected for the hearing to take place, unless the court won't print anything over 50 pages or a file size limit.
    You can also email it to BW Legal.

Have you received the claimant's WS? If so, you can refute anything they have shown, especially signage including surface markings which must have been inadequate, but you cannot introduce new defence points.

Post it here if you have time. Upload it to dropbox as a single file then post the link here.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    arw93 said:
    My defence was that I thought it was a disabled permit they were asking for and not just a normal one. The deadline for a witness statement is the 6th but obviously I'd need to post it I think so probably today is the last day.
    You don't POST your WS bundle these days.  Email it 14 days before.  You have time.

Please can you reproduce here your EXACT defence words, verbatim?

I am an idiot for not just paying it when I received it 
    Absolutely not! No-one here would!

Recent good WS bundles for you to copy and adapt are in the threads by @aphex007 and @SJRRJS

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback