We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Miniature Duo fruit trees (Daily Mail)

2»

Comments

• joho
    joho Posts: 4,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thank you. You've been very helpful and informative. 

BTW @twopenny and @RAS I like your taglines!
    If you have nothing constructive to say just move along.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Can I ask please - is it just dual fruit trees that shouldn’t be planted this time of year, or all fruit trees…? 
    Liechtenstein, the world's sixth smallest country, is the largest exporter of false teeth.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    You may not believe it but we are heading for spring! And summer.
    That is the time plants put on leaves and flowers. Autumn winter they put on root growth which is why if you want to take cuttings it's September onwards.
    A reliable place will not sell bare root after Feburary usually. But if they've been grown in pots you can plant and water/feed through the summer.
    It's just a lot more work and a bigger gamble.

One thing you can do is put them in a bigger pot and tend to them. Move to  the shade if there's a heat wave. The roots are more likely to grow when the water and food is contained so you know they've got it and then plant out next autumn.

I'll be moving plants while it's cold (perhaps) but know it's a risk. Newly planted last spring suffered, some terminally, with the drought because they hadn't had time to get established.

Gardening is a bit of a gamble, with practise the odds are stacked in your favour more than if you just take a stab at it :)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Can I ask please - is it just dual fruit trees that shouldn’t be planted this time of year, or all fruit trees…? 
    Basically it's just bare root ones, but hey ho, if you spy ones for a fiver, maybe worth a MSE gamble
    As 2P says, it will need lots of water and care come summer, but so will a newly planted pot grown one, having paid umpteen pounds best not to just dig a hole & bung it in and forget it

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • YoungBlueEyes
    I’ll plant them in pots for now then 🙂
    Liechtenstein, the world's sixth smallest country, is the largest exporter of false teeth.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've done that with a lot of rescue plants. Essentially the same as the roots will have been dry for ages.
    It works well. A few weeks in a pot to get them going and they heave a sigh of relief.
    The way the weathers going you should have some time if you want to plant them out in a few weeks or so. Like so much of life, see how it goes.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    edited 3 March 2023 at 7:13PM
    The roots are wrapped in plastic so I don’t know what state they’re in.  I’m guessing the coddled in sand (or something) so I’ve punctures the bags so they have a good drink. I’ll stick em in buckets and see how they go. 

Edit - sorry to take over your thread OP. I’ll shurrup now! 
  • joho
    joho Posts: 4,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The roots are wrapped in plastic so I don’t know what state they’re in.  I’m guessing the coddled in sand (or something) so I’ve punctures the bags so they have a good drink. I’ll stick em in buckets and see how they go. 

Edit - sorry to take over your thread OP. I’ll shurrup now! 
    No problem. I'm learning too.
    If you have nothing constructive to say just move along.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When I buy bare root trees I keep them together in a bag of damp sand or coarse soil until I get them planted. A half hour dunk in the pond before going in.
    Now I'm going out to plant my bare root red mulberry, having been reminded that it's getting late to do so .!
    Evolution, not revolution
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure