Trying to get the balance right

Options
1235»

Comments

• Mrsfreshstart2023
    Options
    peb said:
    Maybe the minimum plus a fiver if you can manage it,  will prevent suggestions that you are in persistent debt and Al may help with the finding of new offers
    Thank you for this. I didn't know this was a thing! Very helpful advice.
  • Mrsfreshstart2023
    Options
    ^ Good advice this. 

I’m currently snowballing my debt. Focusing all extra payments on one card and then paying minimums plus a bit extra on others. 

Keep going! 
    I'm definitely going to give this a go next month. I feel like if I don't do it this way come November I probably won't have paid enough off this card to clear it. 

It's saves the need of another balance transfer fee which I'm hoping going forward I won't need.

Good luck on your own DF journey x
  • jokono
    jokono Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Natwest and Santander have no fee 0% balance transfer cards. The Santander one is only 0% for 12 months, Natwest used to be 22 months but it's now 13 I think, but rinse and repeat every year.

I'm doing what others have suggested with keeping savings and paying a bit more than minimum, and haven't paid a balance transfer fee in a very long time.
    01.12.2020 - CC £16,839 / Loan £18,820 / EF £0
    03.07.2023 - CC (0%) £9,859 / Loan £0 / Savings £10,110
  • LadyWithAPlan
    LadyWithAPlan Posts: 2,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    On YNAB I find that the reporting eg what you have actually spent vs your budget has really positively impacted my life and spending 

I suggest you watch Nick True YouTub videos on set up for YNAB as he makes it so simple 
    I have been a keen budgeter for decades - spreadsheets , virtual
    pots etc but YNAB has really made me look at where I spend or have transferred money out of one pot to another - my savings have gone up, my net asset value has gone up -  I can see my habits and where i choose to change and what’s important to me 
    I honestly think the time taken to learn YNAB is so worth it - after a couple months it becomes fun and much easier 

there is a great thread on Reddit on YNAB - all raving about it and I can’t disagree - i spent years saying I don’t need it but 5+ months in I  so impressed by it - even in December seeing all my cash going out beyond my budgeted Xmas spend YNAB made me stop myself from those last extra gifts 
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I genuinely didn't know that about making min payment plus a little bit till I saw the above comments. Then I  had a think about it and realised we were doing that anyway, just because we rounded the payment up to £100 per month purely so it made it easier to keep track of, what we owed each month versus our growing savings to pay off. 

Think I'll also take a look at YNAB. 
  • Mrsfreshstart2023
    Options
    I've been  trying YNAB free trial and I don't think it's for me. I'm going to keep persevering until the trial is up to see if I can get my head around it. I have watched the YouTube videos which helped.

Plan for tomorrow is to set up standing orders from my bill account to a different account to start building a credit card pot. My plan is to pay approx £50 off each card then put the other £400 (split up into smaller chunks) into another current account as I'm not sure I'll get much interest on instant access. Something I could look into though 🙂
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback