PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Yeast

Options
A question for all the bakers, how do you test that “easy bake” dried yeast is still viable?  

I used to bake bread regularly in the bread maker, but hadn’t done it for months, when I decided to bake some last weekend.  It didn’t rise as much as I’d expected, so I am wondering about the yeast.  I used yeast from a small tub of Allinsons’, which has been open for over a year and is stored in the fridge. The best before date is September 2022, but I usually don’t pay much attention to those.  (I baked a loaf a while ago, using a sachet with a BBE from 2014.  It rose perfectly.). 

- Pip
"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,

Comments

• kipperman
    Options
    Occams razor - the most likely theory is probably true - in other words it is out of date! Not expensive stuff- we use the bread machine every second day so go through the tub quite quickly. However there are days where, for no obvious reason, it doesn't rise as much as usual.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Try testing a bit in warm water with some sugar? 
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bouicca21 said:
    This… and after 10 mins there should be froth on the top
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I keep mine in the cupboard rather than the fridge - maybe the cold affected it?
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 February 2023 at 7:40PM
    Options
    bouicca21 said:

@bouicca21 thank you for the suggestion.  I’ve tried it and it worked!  The yeast is still active.

kipperman said:
    Occams razor - the most likely theory is probably true - in other words it is out of date! Not expensive stuff- we use the bread machine every second day so go through the tub quite quickly. However there are days where, for no obvious reason, it doesn't rise as much as usual.
    Since the yeast responded to the sugar test, I guess that last Saturday must have been one of those days @kipperman.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
     As long as your bread tasted ok I would just add a little bit extra yeast next time you bake some. Also how cold was it when you proved your bread it takes a bit longer to rise when it's colder. 
  • Nelliegrace
    Options
    Too much yeast can make bread rise then collapse into a brick.

We used up older dried yeast by activating it in tepid water with a little sugar until there was some froth, for each loaf.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Auntycaz said:
     As long as your bread tasted ok I would just add a little bit extra yeast next time you bake some. Also how cold was it when you proved your bread it takes a bit longer to rise when it's colder. 
    Our kitchen was quite cold @Auntycaz.  However, since I was using the bread maker, it shouldn’t have been an issue.  (Mind you, our bread maker was a wedding present, 20 years ago, so might be showing its age.)

Thinking about it, I probably chose the wrong program to deal with the room temperature.  Rather than our regular loaf program, I went for the “quick bake” one which is 20-ish minutes shorter.  Obviously a mistake.

Too much yeast can make bread rise then collapse into a brick.

We used up older dried yeast by activating it in tepid water with a little sugar until there was some froth, for each loaf.
    Noted @Nelliegrace.  If I have further issues, I will try that.

- Pip

• Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you manage to sort it, homemade bread is much nicer than the bought stuff.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback