Child benefit not paid for 18 months!

I've just realised that payments for my 17 year old daughter stopped in September 2021. We contacted HMRC to tell them that she was staying in fulltime education and the operator told us that he'd sorted it so we didn't need to do anything else. We also get benefit for two younger children and I assumed the amount we were receiving was correct. HMRC have told us they can start a new claim but can only back date it 3 months. I'm pee'd off with myself for not noticing sooner! Is there anything I can do to get the money we are owed (over £1000). The mistake was at their end and surely there should be a log of our original conversation. Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Are you sure you rang them to report the changes? Are you also claiming Tax credits? If so was it those you rang and not child benefit? Although they can sometimes share information, its your responsibility to report all changes.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Normally Child Benefit send out a form in early summer for you to complete if your child is staying in education giving the name of the school/college, the course and the dates. Did you complete and return such a form? If so, did you keep a copy?
    Otherwise I don't there's much you can do other than make a new claim and ask it to be backdated 3 months and chalk it up to experience. I think you have to take some responsibility not noticing for 6 months that you weren't being paid., but at least you can get 3 months of it backdated.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback