Claiming lost earnings on a replacement product

Options
I ordered a washing machine, I took the day off work to receive the washing machine. The washing machine broke soon after.

The washing machine was replaced, I had to wait in another work day as they refused to deliver at weekends, so a day's lost earnings, can I claim for the lost earnings back from the company?

Thanks! 

Comments

• The_Unready
    Options
    No.

Just move on.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    tigertrio said:
    I ordered a washing machine, I took the day off work to receive the washing machine. The washing machine broke soon after.

The washing machine was replaced, I had to wait in another work day as they refused to deliver at weekends, so a day's lost earnings, can I claim for the lost earnings back from the company?

Thanks! 
    You can try, but I doubt it will work.  The expectation is that you make use of the day off for other things.  If time off work is limited, you should have ordered from a retailer that delivers at weekends.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    In many cases, a day's lost earnings is going to be more than the value of the product - do you think that's sustainable?
  • cmthephoenix
    Options
    No. Things break, especially when there are a lot of heavy wear mechanical parts involved like a washing machine. If you weren't happy taking time off/annual leave did you ask if they could deliver at a weekend for a charge?
  • tigertrio
    Options
    > If you weren't happy taking time off/annual leave did you ask if they could deliver at a weekend for a charge?

yes this was asked. And refused.
  • cmthephoenix
    Options
    tigertrio said:
    > If you weren't happy taking time off/annual leave did you ask if they could deliver at a weekend for a charge?

yes this was asked. And refused.
    That's interesting, who was the retailer? Was it just delivery/removal or was fitting of the machine involved as well. Most retailers are happy to deliver at weekends for an additional charge (certainly for initial delivery, not sure about replacements) if fitting is not involved.
  • In theory yes but you need to mitigate losses which may mean using holiday, swapping work days or having someone else home to take delivery. 

I'm sure MSE has an article on it somewhere but it might not be as straight forward as I took 2 days off work so please pay me for one.

Certainly no harm in asking, whether you wish to go further probably depends on how much you earn each day :) 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tigertrio said:

Thanks! 
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/delivery-rights/

But the issue here, is it is not a failed delivery. But a separate issue.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure