We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Capital One & Vanquis: A Snapshot

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker on these forums for a good year or so and partake in a few conversations, but nothing huge. Today, I make my own thread.

I have been a customer of Capital One for 14 months, and Vanquis for 5 months. I have good relationships with both, and always clear my balance in full each month. I clear quite a lot with these cards (using rougly £400 on each a month) and use them for all my spending, as my income is large enough. I am tho, still a student.

I have a Visa Debit card with A&L and a Maestro with Natwest (£1800 Overdraft on NW too) so I wouldn't say my credit rating is all too bad. I use the credit cards, obviously then, to build my credit rating, as I could easily use the Visa Debit/Maestro if I so wished.

Anyway, that's my background.

I have a £500 credit limit with Capital One, and a £500 credit limit with Vanquis.

I have requested a credit increase today with Capital One, but alas, they said no. They cannot offer me anything. Despite me being with them for 14 months.

I requested an increase with Vanquis today (remembering, i've only been with them for 5 months) and they have boosted me to £1000. No questions asked.

I understand that each company has "differente criteria" but I just wanted to share how silly it looks to the average joe, like me, to get an increase off of a company that I have a small past with, and the larger company, with a bigger past, offering me nothing.

Comments

• jamalfatty
    Options
    I thought both Capital One and Vanquis both didnt do credit increases on request?
  • battyboimatt
    Options
    I have been with Captial one now for just over two years and they have never increased my credit limit from £200 full stop. Then I opened a Vanquid one and they gave me a 500 limit, three months later they put it upto 750 and then three months after that a increase to 1250.

I also asked Capital one to increase the limit and they said flat no as well, so now I have cancelled my Captail One card and have been aproved and am using my nice new MBNA Plat card at 14.9% with a £2500 limit

My answer to captial one :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family