🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flight Prices (Long Haul) Summer 2023

Options
Some advice please. I am looking for flights to Japan in July. Currently around 5k for 4 people. This would normally be 3.5 k max!!!

So do i bite the bullet and book or is there a chance they will come down?

Scondly if i do book is it worth using a rewards CC to get the avios points?

Thanks

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When are you referring to as normally?

Well reported that flight costs are materially up given trying to recover from covid years, inflation, particularly high cost of fuel, longer routes avoiding flying over Russia etc.

You can wait but they're probably as likely to go up as down.

Avios points are great but you need to be committed collector to really make them worthwhile. If its just going to be 5k of avios and not any more then you can convert them to nectar but you may be better off with a different type of reward card
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Long haul, especially to East and SE Asia, seems to be up by at least 50%. Combination of increased demand (but capacity hasn't returned to pre-pandemic levels), higher fuel prices, staff shortages and Russian/Ukrainian airspace being closed. Can't see any prospect of prices coming down any time soon
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm guessing the OP is comparing with pre Covid prices, and certainly pre fuel cost increases.  It's not only long haul affected.  I've been checking European flights and they are at least 20% up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure