HELP owing rent housing say they will take house

Options
Ive just rang my housing association basically asking where do i stand if i become bankrupt.
I owe them 423.99 arrears which i pay off at £5 a week
they say that if i go bankrupt the house may be taken back and me and my kids evicted.
I have no problem with paying them i want to keep the roof over our heads, housing say i can say what i want included in the bankruptcy to leave them out and carring on paying £5 a week.
Can I do this or do I go through the process and when i see the judge tell him not to include the rent. But then if it has to be in the bankrupcy can i still pay the arrears.
Im with CCCS, at the moment i cant get through on the phone.
I THINK IM HAVING A PANIC ATTACK
B/R 29/01/08 9.55am:T

DONT BE AFFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP
:kiss:

Comments

• TaxAvoider
    Options
    Hi LouLou

I am BR , I am in a HA flat , nobody is taking it away from me :mad:

Think about it, if you go BR, you will have less debts - well NONE actually, so the £5 you currently pay them in arrears will no doubt be able to increase.

Assuming you have any kind of surplus Income over Expenditure, then I believe the first £100 is discarded and then you pay a sliding scale on any more. So you are "easily" going to be able to pay more than the £5 extra.

I would talk to someone professional first, but I honestly cannot see why they would take your HA home, especially if there are children involved :confused:

Good Luck with it all
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hiya lou...welcome first...second...breath.....try not to panic, do as TA has suggested and contact one of the free debt charity helplines...i've heard that cccs is pretty busy on the phones at the moment so it'll be a case of keep trying till you get an answer if you cant get through try any of the others in my sig below, cant really say about the housing issue...i'm in a HA house as well but didnt have any rent debt they know well about my BR and are hapy to continue my tenancy...easier said than done I know but try not to worry
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • catw75
    catw75 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, this is fine! If they are already happy with current rent & £5/week for arrears, then just carry on doing this while you are bankrupt and thereafter. No reason to stop. Some housing associations and councils write rent arrears off in bankruptcy but if yours won't then just keep paying them. There is no law against doing this. You won't be allowed any extra money in your budget to do this and it will have to come out of your housekeeping, but I expect that this is the least of your worries. The normal rules about not paying any one creditor in preference to another do not apply here as you need a home.
  • loulou6
    Options
    thankyou everyone :xmassign:
    finally got hold of CCCS they have told me that to leave my rent arrears in and keep paying them until i go bankrupt they might decide that because i only owe a small amount eviction would be the extreme and whoever i spoke to was probably giving the worst case senario, then if they do decide to take legal procedings against me (they should let me know before they actually do) i can start to make the payments again.

To be honest Im just going to keep paying as i dont want to take the chance.
    Lets see what happens

I have now definatly deciced to go bankrupt in the new year.

I hate the way this feels my mind is racing part of me is saying that its a cop out but then.........
    I feel like a lead weight has been lifted.:smiley:

Hopefully tonight i will be able to sleep properly no visits to the computer in the early hours !

Again thankyou to all for your replys.
    :xmassign::xmastree:

• squirrel_pigeon
    Options
    Ditto loulou. Feels like a cop out but I'm sleeping better now I've decided.

Feel free to PM me if you fancy some mutual support...

xxxx
    All comments made and advice given are my own opinions and do not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

Current balance: approx £17500 including Tax Credit Overpayment :cry:

Estimated DFD: never - deficit budget. Cheers HMRC! :mad:

Another year over and we're still together. It's not always easy, but I'm here forever
  • loulou6
    Options
    Thankyou Squirrel-pigeon
    ITS A REALLY MAD FEELING
    Ive tried so hard to clear my debts with my ex and on my own it must be nearly 13 years now since all this poo started, i keep going round in circles.

minimum payment,then you up when things get comfortable,then you up it again because they're pressuring you.

then life throws poo in your face.

then you go back to square one with the minimum payment.!!!!
    Then you get the nasty letters, phone calls.
    they dont want to hear that your trying.

then they threaten to send the baliffs, now they know they've got you!
    so you offer a repayment plan you cant afford just to get rid of them
    And when you've got 8 creditors on your back and they all do the same
    you panic stop paying
    bury your head in the sand. Until one day you look up and say why did i do it? its all my fault you deserve this
    but then a very small voice says
    " you did what you thought best at the time,you were a young mum you did it to survive."
    I look around my house and ive got nothing to show for this debt only the paper work that the creditors are sending.
    this is proof that i spent the money !!!:mad:
    13 years on ive still got the debts enoughs enough

I want to find a huge field in the middle of know where and scream till i barf up a lung I want to have a tantrum kicking and screaming punch the air throw myself around just like my kids did when they couldnt get what they wanted at the supermarket, but i dont want any one watching and tutting.
    I FEEL GUILTY THAT IM GOING BANKRUPT
    ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry i had to get that off my chest.
    (i started writing and couldn't stop!!!)

Deep Breath
    Again thankyou you are all BRILL:T

• TaxAvoider
    Options
    13 years you deserve a fresh start :A WE are not the ones that make the LAWS , but if we dare to use a LAW to improve our lives, we are looked on like scum :mad:

I really hope you do put an end to this long period of pain and go through with it. I am about to post something pretty strong in a new thread, it may get pulled ..... ;) but the gist of it is what do the "perfect people" want us to do , go out stealing from other families so ours can have a decent life .....
  • loulou6
    loulou6 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Why is it i feel 'dirty'
    I feel that when you play by the rules , do the best for your family try and lead a honest life. Your running up a steep hill backwards!

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All the best Loulou. Please don't feel like that. You are a human being and you have tried to do whats best for your family for years. It's now time to take a deep breath and take control again. You can do it. We will try to help you all we can and give you as much support as we can
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    If you are going BR anyway could you not just stop paying the creditors and bring the rent up to date.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family