We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Auto renewal for Auto Aid
Comments
-
Not sure if the 14 days cooling off period applies here.The cancellation rights period is not a free period. They can charge an admin fee and an amount for the period of time on risk.
However, if you didn't receive a renewal notice, you have grounds for complaint and they may waive it in that scenario.
I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
Cooling off period is to give you time to assess the product/service and ensure it meets your needs, statutory cooling off periods on renewals generally dont exist because its the same as the product you had for the last 12 months.
Even if you have a cooling off period there is no legal requirement that the cancellation has to be free... just costs have to be proportional to the average cost for the company. Certainly when I had to justify our costs for a prior client they were willing to accept it on a fully average cancellation not just cancellations within the cooling off period in which case certain marketing costs/commissions came into play.0 -
I hope I can piggyback onto this auto-renewal thread, even though it isn't Auto Aid
I decided not to renew my wife's car insurance with Saga, but had the devil's own job getting through to them by phone and live chat. Anyway, as I only had a few days left on the policy, I went with a better deal elsewhere
Eventually I did get through to Saga's live chat to tell them I had made my decision and wished to leave them, which went OK
My question is - would Saga have auto-renewed had I not been able to get through to them? If so, how, as I can't see I have a direct debit set up with them
I asked live chat but the guy dodged giving an answer, and I didn't pursue it as I'd done my priority task
0 -
pritchah said:
My question is - would Saga have auto-renewed had I not been able to get through to them? If so, how, as I can't see I have a direct debit set up with them
They'd have renewed, but then you'd be left with the issue of a cancelled policy and fees if payment couldn't be taken.1 -
I was notified of their auto renewal change in September 22, but never received renewal notice. Didn't realize they had taken payment until renewal notice sent this year. Would not have renewed as when needed to attend to breakdown all that arrived was a potential lift to a garage, no way any similarity to RAC or AA. Maybe cheaper, but for what. Been on to them and not able to speak with anyone with any comprehension of situation. DONT USE AUTO-AID0
-
I have found Auto Aid fine but in recent years little extras have been added to the bill. MSE QUOTES THEIR PRICE AS AROUND £57, but in truth it is £73.64, as they add a fee of £9 not specified and insurance tax of £6.93…..and now you also have to pay The first £25 if a car is over 15 years old. It’s still reasonably cheap compared to others but not as good as it was.0
-
Autoaid email today about automatic renewal which I turned off and screenshot but is back on! Tries to turn off but magically the button has disappeared. Emailed them but returned to say email is not manned. Going ti call them and record the fact that I do not want to renew.
0 -
Be VERY careful with Auto Aid.
Their chosen 'specialist subject' is NOT auto aiding but auto renewing…. which, in a situation with ageing vehicles and changing email addresses, is a matter fraught with risk for the unwary.
I was charged £76 and the first thing I knew about it was an entry on my bank statement. They claimed to have sent a notification email to an old email address which is inaccessible by me. I believe my car has now gone over their age limit, in any case - which would imply extra fees for me before they would attend any breakdown.
Asked for my money back - refunded £49, if you please. This company is of the type which gives the insurance industry a bad name. Will never deal with them again and will advise likewise anyone with whom I'm in contact.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards