Driveway

Has anyone got a rough idea how much a gravel driveway would cost please? It’s not a big driveway, probably around 20-25 square metres but it will need to be dug out as it’s all grass with a concrete path at the moment.

I found this guide: https://mylocaltoolbox.co.uk/cost-guides/gravel-driveway-cost/ and according to that it would cost approximately £1,800 with maybe some additional costs for a skip. Does this sound about right?

Comments

• Are you going to DIY or get someone in?
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Has anyone got a rough idea how much a gravel driveway would cost please? It’s not a big driveway, probably around 20-25 square metres but it will need to be dug out as it’s all grass with a concrete path at the moment.

Have you got permission from the council for a dropped kerb?

If so, have they stipulated a minimum distance between the graveled area and the edge of the footway/verge? Authorities generally require a 'bound' surface next to the highway to stop gravel/stones migrating onto the footway and road.

This will have a significant impact on the total cost of the work.
  • Whereabouts are you? It will cost more in Chelsea than it does in Hull.
  • Are you going to DIY or get someone in?
    Working out the difference in cost first before deciding.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Did my driveway a couple of years back. Similar size to yours.
    Dug down 250-300mm, put in 150mm of compacted hardcore followed by ~25mm of sharp sand before laying paving blocks. Had a guy in with a minidigger for the day to do the heavy groundwork and a grab hire to remove some 18 tonnes of spoil. That bit cost me just shy of £500.
    For a gravel drive, you'd still need to dig it out and put in a good sub-base. Gravel grids with ~50mm of suitable stones will give you a decent depth and stop the gravel from disappearing.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As you’ve got grass already, have you given any thought to perhaps laying that matting stuff into/on to it? Possibly not so much work involved and in time grass would grow through, saving another horrible concrete slab appearing in a front garden 
  • I'm in South-East London and paid £2k for a gravel driveway last year so your quote sound reasonable. Of course, it all depends on where you are and the size etc of your driveway. Good luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback