Unknown banks

Options
2»

Comments

• jbuchanangb
    Options
    My wife opened an account with a so called challenger bank, Charter Savings Bank, seven years ago. Account still open, pays decent interest as a 95 day notice account, which has been increased as and when the Bank of England has been increasing rates recently, unlike savings accounts with mainstream banks which would probably be sitting at 0.1% for an account which had been open for more then 5 years!
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 February 2023 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Two years ago I’d never heard of Atom bank, Ford money, Gatehouse bank, Tandem or Al Rayan.
    Now I have accounts with all of them.
  • pridehappy
    Options
    It's generally okay to invest in any bank or building society covered by the FSCS, as long as the bank itself is registered in the UK. You can also do some easy research online (for example, Trustpilot or just simply Google) to find out more about the institution you're investing in. 

If you are investing more than £85,000, go for accounts with separate banks or building societies. It's safer - as the FSCS covers you up to £85,000 per bank/building society. 

You can check if banks are covered by the FSCS here, I'd recommend doing it here instead of just taking information from the bank's website just in-case it isn't true. This site is ran by the FSCS themselves.

https://www.fscs.org.uk/check/check-your-money-is-protected/
  • ForumUser7
    ForumUser7 Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 February 2023 at 9:15PM
    Options
    It's generally okay to invest in any bank or building society covered by the FSCS, as long as the bank itself is registered in the UK. You can also do some easy research online (for example, Trustpilot or just simply Google) to find out more about the institution you're investing in. 

If you are investing more than £85,000, go for accounts with separate banks or building societies. It's safer - as the FSCS covers you up to £85,000 per bank/building society. 

You can check if banks are covered by the FSCS here, I'd recommend doing it here instead of just taking information from the bank's website just in-case it isn't true. This site is ran by the FSCS themselves.

https://www.fscs.org.uk/check/check-your-money-is-protected/
    I’ve found Smart Money People is also quite good for research
    If you want me to definitely see your reply, please tag me @forumuser7 Thank you.

N.B. (Amended from Forum Rules): You must investigate, and check several times, before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my content, as nothing I post is advice, rather it is personal opinion and is solely for discussion purposes. I research before my posts, and I never intend to share anything that is misleading, misinforming, or out of date, but don't rely on everything you read. Some of the information changes quickly, is my own opinion or may be incorrect. Verify anything you read before acting on it to protect yourself because you are responsible for any action you consequently make... DYOR, YMMV etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback