No notice shop closure, confused and overwhelmed

I was on holiday and had a phone call to come into work today so had to drive 110 miles to get back. When I got in the boss of the shop I have been working at for 13 years hands me a letter and says from today the shop will be closed and I don't have to worry because my job is safe and I will be now working in another one of their shops 13 miles away.
They know I don't drive and will be an additional 3 hours round trip every day and £30 on bus fares as it was within 5 minutes walking currently. I have been off with anxiety related stress before in the past and have said I don't think it is reasonable to expect I will be able to do this. I have been working 40+ hours a week for the last 4-5 years on a 20hr contract and have been told because my contracted hours is only 20 hours that's all they offer me at this new shop.
I was then told that no redundancy is offered as they think this new position is reasonable like for like.

I would appreciate any advice as I suddenly find myself overwhelmed as what to say or turn .

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,235
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 February 2023 at 6:42PM
    So 1 1/2 hours there, and the same back again?  How are your 20 hours spread out and how many days will you now be working?

It is potentially stretching the limits of reasonable alternative employment- you are entitled to take a 4 week trial before deciding. If your employer continues to insist that it is reasonable, you need to put up a good argument as to why it isn’t to get your redundancy pay.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/redundancy/check-your-rights-if-youre-made-redundant/redundancy/your-employer-offers-you-another-job/
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • It is 1hr 30min there and the same back albeit will be 6pm so may take longer to get home each night as this is in the center of town and I am on the outskirts currently. It will be the same 5 days a week varying 12-4 for 2 days and 2-6 for 3. That would be the minimum I would be required which is similar to what I was working here.
    I just received this one undated piece of paper which from next week says I no longer am working here. Is there no process this is supposed to follow ?
  • ellenvan
    ellenvan Posts: 173
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Did you have any written employment contract - if not suggest trying local citizens advice centre
  • Yes I still have the original contract, the only mobility clause written in seems to say we may be asked to help in another shop if required. That has never happened or had to do it.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 587
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ShaneW73 said:
    Yes I still have the original contract, the only mobility clause written in seems to say we may be asked to help in another shop if required. That has never happened or had to do it.
    If that is in your contract,I suggest that your employer has not broken any rules. You have been told you may need to work elsewhere in advance. 
  • It's borderline but I don't think that your employer has broken any rules.
    As you've said, public transport is available and your contract tells you that you may be required to work at another premises.

Have any members of staff been offered redundancy or are all being redeployed?
    If redundancy has been offered, this might potentially strengthen your case but I suspect that gaining it might be difficult and time consuming.
    If everyone is being redeployed this will make it far harder for you.

Have you looked at redundancy calculators? Based on what you've said so far, any redundancy pay out will be modest.

Is it worth your time and effort pursuing?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,235
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ShaneW73 said:
    It is 1hr 30min there and the same back albeit will be 6pm so may take longer to get home each night as this is in the center of town and I am on the outskirts currently. It will be the same 5 days a week varying 12-4 for 2 days and 2-6 for 3. That would be the minimum I would be required which is similar to what I was working here.
    I just received this one undated piece of paper which from next week says I no longer am working here. Is there no process this is supposed to follow ?
    You are thinking of the consultation process, but if they’re making less than 19 people redundant then they can pretty much do that how they like. Plus they are arguing it’s not redundancy because you can work at the other shop.
    It depends how much time and energy you want to put into this for potentially very little reward?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I wrote a letter as to why I don't think in my situation was a reasonable position, outlining distance, travelling time, costs etc and I had a call back not offering redundancy but a one off payment which would be to end my contract with no liability. Offered was just shy of what a redundancy payment would be if calculated.
    It is worth pursuing and/or being prepared to appeal
  • macman
    macman Posts: 52,949
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    But your one-off payment will be subject to income tax. A redundancy payment would not, up to £30k.
    So they're not really comparable. And what about your contractual notice period?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    ShaneW73 said:
    I wrote a letter as to why I don't think in my situation was a reasonable position, outlining distance, travelling time, costs etc and I had a call back not offering redundancy but a one off payment which would be to end my contract with no liability. Offered was just shy of what a redundancy payment would be if calculated.
    It is worth pursuing and/or being prepared to appeal
    Hi, why don't you contact acas just to discuss your position with them? They will be able to tell you whether or not it's worth trying to appeal.

People there are experts on employment and all its aspects.

It wouldn't hurt just to get an opinion from them. 

They've helped me in the past, when I needed some information and advice and it's just a phone call - I recommend them highly.

https://www.acas.org.uk/contact

Good luck.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback